problem with svn?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
rogerdv
problem with svn?

Post by rogerdv » 2011-11-03, 23:31

Yesterday I left downloading the svn during night, but this morning I found that it was interrupted because of an error, I restarted, and after a few minutees, got the same error. Since then, every attempt to resume the checkout (by running svn update or the whole checkout command) fails with the same error about secure connection truncated. Is there some problem with the svn host?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: problem with svn?

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-04, 10:44

Hi rogerdv,
welcome to the Cafu forums, :welcome:
and thanks for your message!

Well, yesterday night I experienced a problem on the same host but a different svn project while committing a large file, and I believe that these two issues are unrelated.

Thus I just checked out the entire Cafu trunk both under Windows 7 as well as under Ubuntu 11.10, using the svn 1.6.12 command-line client on each, and both completed successfully.

Can you please try again with a fresh checkout?
Note that I just updated the instructions, please use

Code: Select all

svn checkout https://srv7.svn-repos.de/dev123/projects/cafu/trunk Cafu
instead of the old https://svn.lcube.de/....

If it fails again, please post the exact error message, and possibly the last ten lines or so of normal output. (I'm surprised that you couldn't resume the checkout though...)

Btw., what OS do you use, which svn client, and what is the version of each? Is your internet connection stable?
Best regards,
Carsten
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv » 2011-11-04, 13:59

Same error:

svn: REPORT de «/dev123/projects/!svn/vcc/default»: No se puede leer el cuerpo de la respuesta: Conexión segura truncada (https://srv7.svn-repos.de)
In english: Cannot reat the reply body: Secure connnection truncated.
Im using Ubuntu 11.04, svn 1.6.12. The connection is slow and unstable sometimes, but right now should be stable (I have no active downloads).
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-05, 10:41

Ok, thanks.
I can reproduce a very similar problem here, and we're currently looking into it: I'll let you know as soon as we've learned more.

Although using an SVN working-copy is certainly the best option (when it works :oops:), I just updated the zip and tar.gz archives at our Downloads page as well. If you don't mind, please pick up the compressed source code archive from there, it's a good alternative until we've found and fixed the problem with the SVN server. :up:

Sorry for the trouble!
Best regards,
Carsten
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv » 2011-11-05, 16:46

Excellent, I was insisting on the svn because I plan to compile under Oneiric at home.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-05, 20:53

Ok, good to hear that.
For compiling under Oneiric, if you have already downloaded the r417 archive, please do the following steps:

In ExtLibs/wxWidgets/src/gtk/menu.cpp find line 52:

wxCHECK_RET( win, "event for a menu without associated window?" );
and replace it with

if (!win) return; 
// wxCHECK_RET( win, "event for a menu without associated window?" );
(You can also see these instructions at http://trac.cafu.de/changeset/418 as an SVN patch.)

Then please delete file ExtLibs/wxWidgets/build-gtk/make-ok-flag (this file only exists if you already have compiled Cafu at least once).

These steps fix a problem in the external library wxWidgets that we use especially for the CaWE editors.
You can now recompile Cafu as documented with command scons.

(If you haven't downloaded r417 yet, I'll upload r418 in a minute, which you can use as documented without these extra steps.)
Best regards,
Carsten
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv » 2011-11-05, 23:09

i will wait for 418
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-05, 23:38

r418 is ready now at http://www.cafu.de/downloads :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-08, 11:04

An update regarding svn itself:
Unfortunately, we have not been able to find a problem with the Subversion server: all local tests with several OS's and scenarios went flawless.
However, there are reasons to believe that there is a hideous bug in the svn client, or it's TLS layer.

Would it be an option for you to test the checkout with TortoiseSVN under Windows?
Best regards,
Carsten
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv » 2011-11-08, 13:31

Yes, I can use it, thanks!
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv » 2011-11-08, 13:51

By the way, both files have the same content, the difference is the packaging. That leads to confusions (I downloaded the Windows version too thinking it was precompiled).
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-09, 00:03

rogerdv wrote:Yes, I can use it, thanks!
Are you referring to the Subversion server? (TortoiseSVN checkout under Windows?) Or one of the source code packages?
By the way, both files have the same content, the difference is the packaging.
Well, yes, this is intentional, because Windows users can typically easier deal with zip files, whereas for Linux users, properly preserving the executable flags is important for the build scripts, so we cannot use zip and thus decided to use tar.gz.

Also note that the text near the downloads says:
"The contents of the archives is identical (inclusive end-of-line style), but Linux users should still get tar archive as it properly sets the executable flags that are required for the build scripts."
Best regards,
Carsten
rogerdv

Post by rogerdv » 2011-11-09, 14:26

There will be some precompiled release? I have Windows/Linux at home and a friend is interested in testing and he is Windows user.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-09, 15:14

Yes, precompiled releases are available as well:
Please see "Cafu Binary Releases" at http://www.cafu.de/downloads
Best regards,
Carsten