How to start studying sources?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
massi123
How to start studying sources?

Post by massi123 » 2011-11-17, 10:38

Hi,

i've got the sources, i've located (thanks god) the MSVC project files, so I have the IDE working... now, I have anothe problem:

I would like to approach the engine and study it - where to start? From which files you would start studying in order to understand the CAFU 3d engine core?

I dont play in 3d since the times of quake (ahem...) so it's alot of time, and I guess that the best way to get in touch would be to study a 3d engine..

...thanks!
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: How to start studying sources?

Post by Carsten » 2011-11-17, 22:42

Hi massi123,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
massi123 wrote:i've got the sources, i've located (thanks god) the MSVC project files,
huh?? But we haven't any...
I would like to approach the engine and study it - where to start? From which files you would start studying in order to understand the CAFU 3d engine core?
Well, that's hard to tell: Generally, just pick a piece of code of your choice, then start exploring from there.

For example, you could:
  • Familiarize yourself with the content listed at http://www.cafu.de/developers.
  • Browse the code either online or in your local copy.
  • Check out the ".dia" diagrams with the code design that are found in the source tree (there aren't many, the two main ones are Ca3DE/ClassDiagram.dia and CaWE/CaWE.dia).
  • Ask detail questions here whenever you're stuck.
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten