Crouching....what button makes you crouch?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Edareot
Crouching....what button makes you crouch?

Post by Edareot » 2004-11-07, 15:26

I have looked through the DeathMatch Mod code and seen it mention crouch, I have also seen the models and skeletons for crouching, I have even seen people talking about crouching (not directly ofcouse, it doesn't make for good conversation but they we talking about how to get somewhere and they said you had to crouch) I have even seen things on the levels that I could only get if I were to crouch. Yet I fail in finding the crouch button!

In short: Have I just missed the crouch button or is crouching not implemented yet?

-Edareot
Kai

Post by Kai » 2004-11-07, 17:38

Its not implemented (yet) :)

I remember that Carsten told me that there was (quite some time ago) a small problem with crouching .. however the player behavior/movement code is (i think) simple. The char is not moving realistic (sliding after stop, unrealistic jump, etc.)

In my opinion, this code was just done to be able to move .. ;)

The levels are originally made for different gameengines like HL where you can jump and use buttons and so on ..
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-11-08, 06:08

i remember disscussing the problem with crouching... just cant recall...
the movement has to be redone in order for crouch to work. in your post to my thread about pbx u asked what i have redone... nothing of the source since i dont have the source. but im working on changing movement. then i will redo the bullets. so far i have just been changing graphics... more will come
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Edareot

Post by Edareot » 2004-11-08, 21:58

Kool, keep us posted on what your doing...(note to self, must redo movement....)
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-11-09, 15:00

i will be releasing my movement code. its not the hardest thing in the world so i will share. i have a question now, how much physics is implemented into the engine? like will people fall to ground cause of gravity or do i need to do that myself?
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Edareot

Post by Edareot » 2004-11-09, 18:07

Wouldn't know really, people fall down if you jump from something don't know how it works though....I'm sure carsten will so this and be able to help. It would be great if you were to redo the movement, save me some work, I really don't seem to have much time at the moment.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-11-10, 11:20

Shadow wrote:i have a question now, how much physics is implemented into the engine? like will people fall to ground cause of gravity or do i need to do that myself?
You have to implement gravity yourself. One could say that the purpose of MOD-ability is to let you do it yourself, so it's even intentionally that way. :-) The engine itself knows next to nothing about the semantics of your game.

All physics that is currently implemented (for the DeathMatch MOD) is located in Games/DeathMatch/Code/Libs/Physics.hpp and .cpp.
There is also the part about gravity.
For example, the human player and company bot call the single function Physics::MoveHuman() for their movement.
Best regards,
Carsten
RAZOR

Post by RAZOR » 2004-11-25, 14:37

If I remember right crouching was not implemented simply because it's a pain to work out whether or not you can stand up again. Not that it couldn't be done, just Carsten probably has more important (not to mention rewarding) things to add to the engine. As I said way back, if unreal can go through 2 or 3 games without ever having a working crouch then it can't be that important.
No-one quite knows why I'm here...
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-11-25, 17:23

Exactly. :D
Best regards,
Carsten