C#

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
JRCAL
C#

Post by JRCAL » 2006-05-22, 23:31

Is there any possible way to convert your source code to C#. I really dont feel like learning C++ to its full extent. Thats just me I am laaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzy. No but really, I've spent about a year learning C# and it would be wonderful to acctually understand whats going on in this fantastic engine. I know there are some similarities. But, C# doesnt exactly do the whole "point to space in memory". Sounds dangerous, lol.
Antidisestablishmentarianism
Try say that fast five times
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-05-23, 09:39

Hi JRCAL,

and welcome to the Ca3DE forums.

I'm very sorry, but Ca3DE is written in C++, and therefore also the game DLL code is (and must be) in C++. Bindings to C# are not available, and for many reasons, I also don't have plans to create them (one of them is that C# is a new and non-portable language).

You can read additional details here: http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/doku.php ... m_mod_code

I'm very sorry about that, but if you already know C#, it should be easy for you to "upgrade" to C++. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
JRCAL

Post by JRCAL » 2006-05-23, 13:51

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I am going to have to learn a new language. I guess I saw it coming when a grand majority of game developers are C++ based. I cant expect someone to just rewrite there code for my own necessities ( or can I :twisted: ). I am going to take your advise and "upgrade to C++". It would make my resume look better. Well Cartsen, you have single handedly alterd my life hope you feel proud.
Antidisestablishmentarianism
Try say that fast five times
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-05-23, 16:52

:angle: :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-05-23, 17:09

Hello JRCAL!

First of all, no, it isnt possible to convert the sourcecode into C#. Because C# is a really different language than C++. Also, not every library that is written in C++ is also ported to .NET. For example, Managed DX is very unstable and i dont even know, if there is a Managed OGL port.

If i may add, im also a fanatic C programer, and for Ca3dE, i need to learn C++. And it isnt a real problem for me ;)

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Advis

Post by Advis » 2006-05-23, 23:24

Hey, nooblet is back :).

For a while we were using the C++ Quake 2 with the Delphi port of the game86.dll and things worked just fine. So I guess porting from one language to another is possible...in theory. Havn't tried it for Ca3DE mind I'm not that suicidal.
Joseph Scott - Digital Effect & Theory Team Leader.