Compile Error

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
Scorphame
Compile Error

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-13, 03:39

When I tried to compile the code (Following all the steps in Starting with Source Code)

When I execute the Compilersetup.py... a windows was open but after of 1 second this windows closes automatically, I try to do with cmd (Start -> run -> cmd) adn Appear the next error message:

Code: Select all

line 2, in <module>
  From Scons.Script import *
ImputError: No module named Scons.Script
Note: I Didn't modify the code or something I just install all programs and I follow all the steps for to Windows Compilation but I have this error.

Can you help me?
Simón Carreño AKA Scorphame.
Leader & Game Designer at HeXentic Games
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Compile Error

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-13, 11:11

Hi,
Scorphame wrote:When I execute the Compilersetup.py... a windows was open but after of 1 second this windows closes automatically, I try to do with cmd (Start -> run -> cmd) adn Appear the next error message:

line 2, in <module>
  From Scons.Script import *
ImputError: No module named Scons.Script
Don't (attempt to) run file CompilerSetup.py directly. Instead, proceed exactly as described in the documentation: "At the command prompt, change into the top-level Cafu directory (where also the files CompilerSetup.py and SConstruct are), then type scons."
Does that work?
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-14, 01:37

no :(

it says about is not a extern or intern command executable or .bat
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-14, 13:48

Scorphame wrote:it says about is not a extern or intern command executable or .bat
Have you added both the Python directory as well as the Python Scripts subdirectory to your PATH environment variable?

Please see the related paragraph in section Getting Started with the C++ Source Code - Windows for more details (I've just clarified the text, and added two links that have additional information if needed).
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-15, 04:18

it works :D but I downloaded the VS C++ 2010 but I had a problem

****Scons Visual Studio version '10.0' is not supported
File: "C:\Documents and settings\Administrador\Escritorio\Darkleaf Entertainment\Ca3DE-9.06-win32\Cafu-src-r154\Cafu-src-r154\SConstruct", line 131, in <Module>"
Help!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-15, 10:42

Scorphame wrote:

Can you please replace file vs.py in your directory c:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\scons-2.0.0.final.0\SCons\Tool\MSCommon (adapt as required for your system) with file vs.py ?
Scorphame wrote:

...\Administrador\Escritorio\Darkleaf Entertainment\Ca3DE-9.06-win32\Cafu-src-r154\Cafu-src-r154\SConstruct"
I'd recommend to have Cafu-src-154 side by side next to other versions, not cascaded inside Ca3DE-9.06-win32, as it is independent from other releases of Cafu.
Best regards,
Carsten
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2010-09-16, 02:25

It Works correctly! :D :D :D :D

Thank You! Carsten :)
void

Post by void » 2011-01-27, 02:23

I had the same issue (using scons 2.0.1 on Vista) and found this thread by searching Google. ;)

The vs.py replacement eventually fixed it.

Perhaps this issue should be mentioned in the Getting Started wiki article to avoid further confusion?
I tried to add it myself, but apparently the forum account can't be used to log into the wiki (?).
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-27, 20:36

void wrote:Perhaps this issue should be mentioned in the Getting Started wiki article to avoid further confusion?
I tried to add it myself, but apparently the forum account can't be used to log into the wiki (?).
Well, yes, sorry, you've found two of the rough spots of the Cafu infrastructure:

SCons 2.0.x still requires the above mentioned fix, but the newer 2.1.x versions already include it, so I hoped to get away without making the instructions even more complicated than they already are.

I hope to be able to find additional or alternative build systems to SCons in the long run, such as Waf, Premake, CMake, etc., but so far SCons seems to meet the requirements best. (If someone provides a solution that builds the wxWidgets library on Windows and Linux with one of these systems, please let me know -- the changes to establish an alternative build system would then increase dramatically. ;-) )

The Wiki-login is normally connected to the forum login, but unfortunately, every new release of DokuWiki happily breaks the phpBB3 integration (http://www.dokuwiki.org/tips:integrate_with_phpbb3) and I've not yet had the time to look into and repair it.

If you want to have a Wiki account though, please let me know!
I'll happily create accounts manually as needed.
Best regards,
Carsten
void

Post by void » 2011-01-30, 23:57

SCons does a very good job after all.
I also came across a simple way to integrate SCons into Visual Studio (and other IDEs): Integrating scons into IDEs
This seems to work fine. However, I still have to find out, how I can prevent VS from trying to run the project after each successful build (VS expects an exe in the project's Debug/Release folder).
Carsten wrote:If you want to have a Wiki account though, please let me know!
Yes, please. :)
I don't know much about the engine yet, but as I progress, I hope to make some useful contributions to the wiki.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-31, 17:52

void wrote:
Carsten wrote:If you want to have a Wiki account though, please let me know!
Yes, please. :)
Ok, I've begun to write a new authentication backend for DokuWiki, will try to finish it tonight, then let you know. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-02-01, 03:24

Carsten wrote:Ok, I've begun to write a new authentication backend for DokuWiki, will try to finish it tonight, then let you know. :up:
Done. :cheesy:
Everyone should should be able to login at the Wiki just as documented at the Developers page.

That is, can you please try to login, using the same details as for the forum?
Please let me know if it works.

If you're new to Wiki editing in general, a short intro is at Becoming an Editor.
Best regards,
Carsten
void

Post by void » 2011-02-04, 00:01

Carsten wrote:That is, can you please try to login, using the same details as for the forum?
Please let me know if it works.
Yes, it works. Thanks! :)