first person augmented display?

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
raw
first person augmented display?

Post by raw » 2010-09-29, 07:59

hi, i am starting the development phase of my mmo project and one of my features is peripheral wrap around and blur.

the idea is something along these lines.

/___|___\
\_--^--_/

forgive the facelike diagram but let me explain.

consider a hexagon; left, front, right, right flank, rear, left flank.

my goal is to make the front 60degrees clear. the left and right blur at 30 degrees. and to add 30 degrees of the flank view stretched and merged together into one seamless front and side view. keeping in mind the front 60degrees is the only clear view.

this requires diverting from a traditional 180 degree view and making it 240.

somehow accomplished by view vectors using input from the user and filters that hopefully wont bog down the gpu with alot of overhead.

now my question is. with this engine. is it currently capable of combining multiple vectors of vision into one seamless yet filtered output?

i look forward to any replies that can enlighten me wether good news or bad lol.

thanks,
~R
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: first person augmented display?

Post by Carsten » 2010-09-29, 12:13

Hi Raw,
raw wrote:this requires diverting from a traditional 180 degree view and making it 240.

somehow accomplished by view vectors using input from the user and filters that hopefully wont bog down the gpu with alot of overhead.

now my question is. with this engine. is it currently capable of combining multiple vectors of vision into one seamless yet filtered output?
I'm not sure if I understand the goal that you aim to achieve, but it seems to involve tricks with perspective projection and expensive post-processing, if possible at all. (Btw., standard FoV is 90°, not 180°.)

So what you need is a good idea on how this could be implemented, Cafu has the framework, but not a ready-made implementation for this.
Best regards,
Carsten
Kai

Re: first person augmented display?

Post by Kai » 2010-10-01, 01:51

I think such complex settings required a render-to-texture function, which would enable all sorts of distortion of the current viewpane, using texel or vertices transformations.
Same for blurring areas of the view..