dedicated server

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
bigjj13
dedicated server

Post by bigjj13 » 2011-01-04, 14:33

Hi,

i'd like to make a dedicated server. I just got the latest version. and now CAFU_DEDICATED_SERVER is not working anymore.

How can I make a dedicated server?

Sincerely
BigJJ -- SG-O
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: dedicated server

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-04, 15:44

bigjj13 wrote:i'd like to make a dedicated server.
Right now, by far the easiest and most reliable way to create a (dedicated) server is to run Cafu normally (in a window, not full-screen),
  • click Multiplayer,
  • click Host Game Server,
  • click Play on this machine ("no"),
  • click Go!
I just got the latest version. and now CAFU_DEDICATED_SERVER is not working anymore.
What exactly do you mean...?
We used to build an executable that could act as a dedicated, console-mode only, game server. However, it was not very frequently used and - with all the efforts being focused on the graphical version - difficult to maintain, so we removed it from the build again.
How can I make a dedicated server?
As outlined above, using the graphical program is currently the recommended way to start a (dedicated) server.

It would be possible to revive the nongraphical server, too, e.g. for dedicated remote hosting, but unless someone helps with some development and testing, other projects have higher priority at the moment. Note that a nongraphical Cafu server only takes barely fewer resources than the graphical one, because these days even the server must have some awareness of texture details etc.
Best regards,
Carsten
bigjj13

Post by bigjj13 » 2011-01-07, 20:54

Carsten wrote: Right now, by far the easiest and most reliable way to create a (dedicated) server is to run Cafu normally (in a window, not full-screen),
the problem is, that I'm not able to use the GUI on a comando line root server.

Sincerely
BigJJ -- SG-O
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-09, 19:46

bigjj13 wrote:the problem is, that I'm not able to use the GUI on a comando line root server.
Yes, sorry, I'm aware of that, but I currently really have not the time to dig into it (even though I think that the related work should be manageable). So right now the best that I can do it offer support to anyone who'd attempt to make a dedicated server executable.

For a start, could you please file a related ticket?
Best regards,
Carsten