Help

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
FraGGer
Help

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-25, 15:00

i cant seem to get this compilde thing to work i did exactly as in the newmaterials.pdf stood but nothing happens the map wont appear in the map selection box

o yeah with wot program do u open the models or where can i find the plugin for 3dsmax cuz i wanna edit some models and stuff

i really like this engine and i like to see my own creations working

thx in advance

FraGGer--
Kai

Post by Kai » 2004-08-25, 16:13

Well to edit models, you have to do the same procedure like editing HL1 models. The current file format is similiar to .mdl

So far there is no way to directly export a model into the mdl file format. You need a plugin to export into the .smd format .. then use Milkshape and a textfile(.qc file) to compile two smd's files (first contains mesh and textures, second contains bones and animations) into mdl.

thats all i can tell you so far...
FraGGer

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-25, 18:37

ok and where do i get the importer from ????
Kai

Post by Kai » 2004-08-25, 19:04

Well you can google for it ;)

There is a script for Gmax and some explanations (but its a bit more complicated) .. just here http://www.wunderboy.org/tutorials/gmax ... porter.php

If you own a 3dsMax Version just use the Half Life 1 SDK, it contains all data including the plugins http://www.fileplanet.com/files/40000/44991.shtml

A good (german) site is this for example http://www.counter-strike.de/content/skins/skinning.php

There so many sites out there, just look for Half Life 1 editing, using google and you will get what you want.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Help

Post by Carsten » 2004-08-25, 19:07

Hello FraGGer!
i cant seem to get this compilde thing to work i did exactly as in the newmaterials.pdf stood but nothing happens the map wont appear in the map selection box
Do your compiled maps have .cw or .bsp as suffix?
If .cw (the new suffix that is already mentioned in the new releases of NewMaterials.pdf), please rename to .bsp, the current release only accepts the older .bsp, the new one (next release) will accept .cw.

Moreover, the .bsp File should be stored in the WorldBSP folder (old name), not in Worlds (new name).

If you already have .bsp suffix and saved in WorldBSP and it still doesn't work, please post in detail what happens when you compile the map (any error messages or anything else).
o yeah with wot program do u open the models or where can i find the plugin for 3dsmax cuz i wanna edit some models and stuff
As Kai already pointed out, Ca3DE imports Half-Life 1 Models by default. Thus, making models for Ca3DE is making models for HL1.
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ is a good start, and probably also http://collective.valve-erc.com/

Making Models in mdl file format that are also textured with normal-maps and specular maps is advanced. We hope to be able to cover this in future tutorials, but don't hesitate to ask if you get this far before the tuts are complete. ;)

Best,
Carsten
Best regards,
Carsten
FraGGer

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-25, 19:47

look i just made a square map in hammer (worldcraft) playerstart and light texture blabla then the compilding thing is on but i dont really get it wot i need to do i just followed the tut and there was no bsp file in the output directory i named my map test maybe you can writ some bat file that can compilde my map cuz i wanna map :D :D about the models im an average modeller and i have found it out so dont worry bout the models
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-08-25, 20:26

Fragger, please
a) use the SHIFT key on your keyboard, its purpose is for making CAPITAL letters,
b) use proper punctuation and spelling (for example, capitals are useful after periods that you normally use to separate sentences), and
c) let us know what exactly goes wrong.

I'd like to help you, but as a non-native english speaker it is terribly difficult to understand the words you write, and even worse to get the meaning.
Equally important is that I cannot help you at all when you just say "followed the tut and there was no bsp file in the output directory". This is because I have no crystall ball.
If you followed the tut, then you also ran at least WcMap2Ca and CaBSP. Both programs must have produced some output. If no compile result was created, the output contains information about what went wrong and why.

Please post that output here, or nobody else will be able to help you. You also don't phone your local computer store and simply say "My computer is broken, whats wrong?", do you?

Thank you.
Best regards,
Carsten
FraGGer

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-25, 21:42

Sorry I will try and find out what went wron ok. :lol:
scott

Post by scott » 2004-08-26, 01:41

I think maybe your environment variables may be the problem, because wcmap2ca.exe isnt converting anything for me now, even though I'm doing the process correctly. It may be because I had deleted my windows folder and re-installed it with all my files still on the hard drive, I hadnt re-installed ca3d or set any environment variables
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-08-26, 11:16

scott wrote:I think maybe your environment variables may be the problem, because wcmap2ca.exe isnt converting anything for me now, even though I'm doing the process correctly.
Environment variables should only affect the compilation of the DeathMatch MOD source code, not the operation of WcMap2Ca.

However, as long as you and Fragger don't post your exact command line and the exact command output, I can only guess whats wrong. Posting both the command line and the output is easy, the CMD command consoles of Windows 95 to XP all support copy&paste. That is, just type the command, wait for the output, select everything with the mouse, and then copy and paste everything here. Then I'll have a change to see whats going on.

Best,
Carsten
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2004-08-26, 11:54

Well I worked out my problem and it turns out some of my files were corrupted, so I unziped a fresh copy and it all works ok.

But for reference for fragger here is how it should look in the command prompt. I'm thinking he may have left off the end part which tells the compiler where the textures are, when I first used ca3d that was a mistake I made (Well I think thats what it does)

C:\ca3de-mdk\Ca3D-Engine>wcmap2ca games/deathmatch/mapseditor/yourmap.map games/deathmatch/mapsconv/yourmap.cmap games/deathmatch
FraGGer

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-26, 12:49

Ok This is what my cmd line looks like D:\MyEngine\Ca3D-Engine>WcMap2Ca Games/DeathMatch/MapsEditor/test.map Games/DeathMatch/MapsConv/test.cmap Games/DeathMatch
I save it as a .bat file and then run it and a little dos box pops up and dissapears again (really fast its there for only 1 second) and when i look in the mapsconv map there is no test.cmap sorry :?: :?:
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-08-26, 17:44

FraGGer wrote:I save it as a .bat file and then run it and a little dos box pops up and dissapears again (really fast its there for only 1 second)
Ok, please run the same by hand in a command shell (not via a .bat file).
Then you will see the output of WcMap2Ca, probably an error message like "file not found" etc. Maybe the problem is simply that the .bat file assumes a different default directory for execution than d:\MyEngine\Ca3D-Engine ?
Then, please post that output here.
Best regards,
Carsten
FraGGer

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-26, 19:16

Thanks it worked i made a screenshot to show u the map is way off scale :D:D well thanks and there will spawn some cool maps now :D
FraGGer

Post by FraGGer » 2004-08-26, 21:49

i bumped into another problem (sorry for keep asking things) when i make a model and a qc file re make the qc file it looks like this

// Output .MDL
$modelname "D:\MyEngine\Ca3D-Engine\Games\DeathMatch\Models\Static\ton\barrel\w_barrel.mdl"

// Directory of .SMD
$cd "\MyEngine\Ca3D-Engine\Games\DeathMatch\Models\Static\ton\barrel\"

// Directory of .BMP
$cdtexture "\MyEngine\Ca3D-Engine\Games\DeathMatch\Models\Static\ton\barrel\"
$cliptotextures

// Write textures into a ???T.mdl
//$externaltextures

$scale 1.3

// bodygroups: use relative path from $cd
$bodygroup body
{
studio "barrel"
}

// sequences: all sequences are in $cd
$sequence idle-1 "barrel" loop fps 30 ACT_IDLE 1

all goes well but then i compilde the script and milkshape stops working there comes this error

it is a more common error do u guys want me to translate it

i already tried reinstalling ms3d but that didnt work either