Techdemo, Step #2 (indoor part)

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-06-01, 09:37

scott wrote:Carsten, with the physics have you thought of implmenting a universal Physics interface so users can easily drop in which ever sdk they want to use?
Yes, I've thought about it, and if necessary, I'll abstract the physics interface in this way, similar to the Material System and (in the future) the Sound System etc.. However, given the fact that the physics system is supposed to live in the MOD DLL code alone (the engine knows nothing about it), maybe it will turn out that such an abstraction is not even required...
Best regards,
Carsten
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-06-01, 18:14

Besides (@Sindwiller), running physics on the GPU means to buy a second graphics card for that very purpose. I wonder who is going to do that. Wink
Who the hell wants to buy a second Graphics-Card?? This is more expensive than a Physics-Processor...

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-06-01, 19:26

Of course but you can also use it for better fps in games and better graphics ;)
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-06-02, 20:09

Thrawn wrote:Of course but you can also use it for better fps in games and better graphics ;)
:shock: noooooo... Have you readed the article about advanced physics in the old C'T? No? So, it is proven that GPU-calculated physics (and that are only FX-Physics like particles etc. and not collision detection, ragdoll's etc. !!!) are'nt detailed and faster than a PhysX-Card. In fact, a PhysX-Card can calculated much more physic-objects (including fluids, bending metals (look @ demo's)) than a CPU or a GPU.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-06-03, 12:55

I think you totally misunderstood my statement. I meant that even if it is not as cheap as buying a physics cart, you can at least also use it for ohter cool things, like better graphics or more fps ;)