Compiling

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
cannon_fodder1990
Compiling

Post by cannon_fodder1990 » 2006-01-09, 01:21

Hey there. I have moderate experience in mapping with Hammer, so I was pleased to see that the editor included with Carsten's engine is very similar. However, I've never needed to compile maps manually.

I followed the format shown in the help file, but it doesn't seem to work. This is what I CPed into the command prompt:

c:\ca3de-mdk\projects\ca3d-engine> cabsp games/deathmatch/maps/test.cmap games/deathmatch/worlds/test.cw

And I get the error:

'c:\ca3de-mdk\projects\ca3d-engine' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

After that, I tried MANY variations, including entering the full filename of cabsp, using a "\" rather than a ">" after "ca3d-engine", entering the FULL paths for the 3 sections (cabsp, input .cmap, output .cw), etc. Still can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-01-09, 16:39

Hi, I advice you to read the lower part of the post first, because there is an easy way to fix your problem. The upper part gives you a direct answer to your question but is more complicated.

The CaBSP exe is right now named "CaBSP_win32_vc60_r" so the command should be:

Code: Select all

CaBSP_win32_vc60_r Games/Deathmatch/Maps/test.cmap Games/Deathmatch/Worlds/test.cw
You must not enter c:\ca3de-mdk\projects\ca3d-engine>, it's not a command itself, but an adress and tells you in which directory you are currently in. When you start cmd.exe you are in your personal directory.

Now you have to navigate a bit to get into the right directory.To get to the upper directory, use cd.. until you are finally in C:\, then use cd yourdirectoryname to get into a directory. C:\Ca3DE-MDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine> is the right part you have to be in in order to run the compile command successfully.

--------------

You can also use a tool that creates a graphical surface for all Ca3DE tools so you dont have to use the cmd.exe anymore at all.

Link: Material Development Kit Graphical Surfaces

The tool is very easy to use and well documented. It makes work much easier and faster.

BTW: Welcome to the forums ;)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-01-09, 17:08

Thrawn, thanks for answering this question. I was just about to write something myself, when I realized that your graphical tool is a much better solution to his problem, and then your answer appeared at just the right time! ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
cannon_fodder1990

Post by cannon_fodder1990 » 2006-01-09, 21:48

Geh, I KNEW it was going to be something obvious I was overlooking. Thanks for the help- I was able to compile the map. The Materials Development Kit doesn't seem to work, though.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-01-09, 21:53

cannon_fodder1990 wrote:The Materials Development Kit doesn't seem to work, though.
What does that mean :?:
More details please.
Best regards,
Carsten
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-01-09, 23:08

I think he talks about the graphical surfaces.

You have to extract the archive into the Ca3D-Engine main directory, then everything should work correctly :)
cannon_fodder1990

Post by cannon_fodder1990 » 2006-01-10, 02:20

^ Yeah, that was it, I installed it in the wrong directory. I think it could be perhaps made clearer in the description for the file where exactly you have to unzip it to- I mistakenly did so to c:\Ca3DE-MDK on account of that description.

This thing is great though, no more assing around with the command prompt! Why is it not just included with Ca3de?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-01-10, 16:12

cannon_fodder1990 wrote:Why is it not just included with Ca3de?
It will be. However, integrating it with Ca3DE ideally requires to move all the command-line tools into a separate "hidden" location, making them harder to create for me and harder to use for the command-line folks. This in turn requires changes to the GUI tool...
As soon as I've sorted these issues out, the tool will be included with Ca3DE (Thrawns permission pending ;) ).
Best regards,
Carsten
MGthehakrsban09

Re: Compiling

Post by MGthehakrsban09 » 2009-06-30, 13:29

:twisted: Hello folks thanks for allowing the demo version of your engine
by downloading i was led to these pages and now im already on my way with a huge huge project with your new engine and a few other editors because of file location problems.these answers tell me what i did wrong
thank you so much......thehakrsban09 mike green 56 canada
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Compiling

Post by Carsten » 2009-07-10, 14:11

Hi Michael,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
We'd be happy to learn more about your new project - just open a new forum thread and tell us! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten