Entity Documentation is not correct.

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Wolfsong73
Entity Documentation is not correct.

Post by Wolfsong73 » 2019-03-21, 03:13

Hello,

I'm trying to follow the instructions here:
https://docs.cafu.de/mapping:cawe:editi ... :newentity
to create entities, specifically a player start, so I can run around and test a quick little map I made (basic room with a sky and a few lights).

Problem is, the instructions on that page are not reflected in the editor at all. It's not even close.
Pressing Shift+E does nothing.
If I click on the New Entity button on the top bar, there is no drop down that appears for me to pick the entity type. I have to click on a "Components" drop-down menu instead.

Further, I seem unable to get a working player added to test the map.

When I compile/run the map, it compiles fine, and runs the engine fine.. I open the map and all I get is a black screen with the words: "Receiving Entity Baselines....."

It never goes anywhere from there.

So, the documentation seems to be out of sync with the binary release you have on the site.

Also, it seems I need to have both a Player Start entity, *and* a HumanPlayer entity in the map. I figured that out, but do they have to be connected, or associated in some way? Do they have to accompany the same spot in the map?

Thanks for any help.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Entity Documentation is not correct.

Post by Carsten » 2019-03-24, 20:24

Hello Wolfsong,
Wolfsong73 wrote: So, the documentation seems to be out of sync with the binary release you have on the site.
Yes, that's unfortunately true. I'm very sorry about this, but my involvement in several other large projects currently don't leave me with enough spare time to update the docs.
Also, it seems I need to have both a Player Start entity, *and* a HumanPlayer entity in the map. I figured that out, but do they have to be connected, or associated in some way? Do they have to accompany the same spot in the map?
No, they don't have to be connected or to be in the same spot: The Player Start entity is the spatial location where new human players are spawned, whereas the HumanPlayer entity acts as a prototype that the engine copies whenever a new human player entity is needed. That is, the HumanPlayer entity let's you configure the concrete human player entities.

At this time, the best suggestion that I can make is that you have a look at the example maps that are included with the binary release. You can also copy one of the very small ones and use that as a template for your own map.
Best regards,
Carsten
Wolfsong73

Post by Wolfsong73 » 2019-03-31, 05:59

I see. Okay I can work from that for now.

Would the "Receiving Entity Baselines....." message be any hint as to what needs to be changed/added?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2019-04-01, 13:40

Wolfsong73 wrote:Would the "Receiving Entity Baselines....." message be any hint as to what needs to be changed/added?
I would not generally say that. If that message doesn't disappear by itself, something is possibly wrong.
A suggestion: If you have trouble with that message and cannot fix it yourself, send me your map (cmap and cent files) per email and I'll have a look. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten