Questions about the Vertex Editing tool in *other* programs

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Carsten
Site Admin
Questions about the Vertex Editing tool in *other* programs

Post by Carsten » 2006-07-13, 19:10

Hello all,

I'm currently working on better code for the "Vertex Editing" (or "Morph") tool in CaWE, and was wondering how other programs/modellers work and behave in this regard, e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, Lightwave, etc. :?:

If you have experience with any of these programs, please add a (detailed) description here! :idea:
(Note that brushes in CaWE are always convex structures, so the generic mesh editing capabilities are no good compare...)

My currently best plan is to implement a convex-hull algorithm for the Vertex Editing tool. That means that a brush that is edited with that tool is represented by its vertices as before, but e.g. when you add/delete/move any vertex, the convex hull of the new structure, formed by the set of vertices, is recomputed.

This would make the tool very robust and very easy and natural to use, but I still would like to learn what other programs solve this... :book:
Best regards,
Carsten