Just a little help

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
scott
Just a little help

Post by scott » 2004-10-12, 17:02

Hey I'm trying to eliminate a few polygons from my map that wont ever get seen by the player, now as I recall from quake engine games and amp2, you would apply a "Caulk" texture, which would stop those particular surfaces from being calculated in the compile process, thus saving them from being rendered. How do I do this with ca3d? I've tried using the skip texture and a few others with no luck, one of them makes the whole brush invisible even though its only applied to one face, can I just select a face and set it to invisible?

Advis

Post by Advis » 2004-10-12, 18:48

I think I know what your on about, you need to apply the 'clip' texture to the face that won't be seen by the player. If your using Hammer just browse for the texture 'clip' and then apply it to the face.

CaPVS would also probably do the same thing without removing the polygon, it would just stop the engine from rendering it. (if it works in a similar way to the VIS system in C&C Renegade, this was the engine I worked on before).
Joseph Scott - Digital Effect & Theory Team Leader.
scott

Post by scott » 2004-10-13, 05:52

unfortunately, the clip texture makes the whole brush disappear. Maybe carsten doesnt have something like this going yet
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-13, 23:48

You don't need any special "Caulk" textures in Ca3DE. (At least that's true for the current version, and may be different in the next for some subtle reasons (e.g. with bezier patches etc.).)

CaBSP automatically eliminates all polygons that the players can never see, provided the map is really properly sealed (no leaks).

If otoh you have a brush that is e.g. hovering 10cm over the ground, and you want to make the bottom face invisible, just turn the brush into a func_wall entity, set its rendermode to "Blue Masked", and apply the "invisible" texture to it. It will then not be rendered.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please let us know the detailed circumstances of the face you want to make invisible (ideally please include a screenshot). I'm sure there is a way to get you what you want. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-14, 01:04

you cant seriously be running slow enough to need this!?!
all my faces seem to be invisible when not needed...
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
scott

Post by scott » 2004-10-14, 06:55

I'm not running slow shadow its more that I want to get the hang of all the possible things I can do to optimise my map, thats all. Once it comes more detailed it probably will make a difference

Carsten: I'll give that a shot, thanks man. The layout of the map is a bunch of tall buildings surrounding the player with a few alley ways, its basically to hide the back faces of buildings.

Update: Yep that did the trick carsten :)
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-14, 22:27

k thats good to know. cause my map is running just fine and looks great thanks to normal maps. will look better once i get the hang of it
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!