Weird ?NOT FOUND texture when selecting objects in CaWE

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
BRabbit
Weird ?NOT FOUND texture when selecting objects in CaWE

Post by BRabbit » 2010-11-07, 00:05

Hi, i have made some modifications to the engine, but after various builds I get this rare image saying ?NOT FOUND in a blue background applied on top of the object selected in the 3D view in CaWE.
NOTE: The texture is actually found, i just see that NOT FOUND when I select the object, when it's deselected, it just displays it right.
error.jpg
Oh, and what about the decals? I know they are not implemented - at least in CaWE-, but i saw some kind of overlays in the tech demo (actually, the blood decals on the floor). So, how could I put a decal in my map or at least try to simulate it? (I tried by myself opening the TechDemo map in CaWE to see how is it done, but it is too large and it never opens :cheesy:)...

By the way, thanks Carsten for your continuous support! :wink:
Thrawn

Re: Weird ?NOT FOUND texture when selecting objects in CaWE

Post by Thrawn » 2010-11-07, 12:04

Hi,

I think the texture error you got is indeed a result of a missing texture, but not of the diffuse map. Did you specify for examble a normal-map in a shader (for this texture) and the link is wrong?

Greetings,
Thrawn
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-07, 13:21

Hi,
BRabbit wrote:Hi, i have made some modifications to the engine, but after various builds I get this rare image saying ?NOT FOUND in a blue background applied on top of the object selected in the 3D view in CaWE.
NOTE: The texture is actually found, i just see that NOT FOUND when I select the object, when it's deselected, it just displays it right.
When a brush is selected, the reddish tint is provided by an "overlay" material that is rendered on top of the normal material.
That overlay material is defined in file CaWE/res/CaWE.cmat, which in turn refers to CaWE/res/Overlay.png. Please make sure that both of these files are in their proper location; this should fix your problem.
Oh, and what about the decals? I know they are not implemented - at least in CaWE-, but i saw some kind of overlays in the tech demo (actually, the blood decals on the floor). So, how could I put a decal in my map or at least try to simulate it? (I tried by myself opening the TechDemo map in CaWE to see how is it done, but it is too large and it never opens :cheesy:)...
Regarding opening the TechDemo map, are you seeing bug 47? If that is the problem (32-bit CaWE on 64-bit Windows), if you wait long enough (about 5 Minutes on my 64-bit Win7), the TechDemo map eventually opens normally.

The current solution (or work-around) for decals is to create "flat" Bezier Patches and apply a (partially) translucent material to them.
Best regards,
Carsten
BRabbit

Post by BRabbit » 2010-11-07, 17:26

When a brush is selected, the reddish tint is provided by an "overlay" material that is rendered on top of the normal material.
That overlay material is defined in file CaWE/res/CaWE.cmat, which in turn refers to CaWE/res/Overlay.png. Please make sure that both of these files are in their proper location; this should fix your problem.
Yeah, that overlay was missing. The problem is now fixed.
Regarding opening the TechDemo map, are you seeing bug 47? If that is the problem (32-bit CaWE on 64-bit Windows), if you wait long enough (about 5 Minutes on my 64-bit Win7), the TechDemo map eventually opens normally.
Mmm...i don't think so, i'm using win7 32, and one of the latest AMD processors. The map, a 17.5 MB plain-text file loads in about ~20 seconds when I open it in Notepad, for example. I know it's not the same, there are a lot of calculations done by CaWE when a map is opening, but i never managed to open it. It seems like it crashes when it reaches, like, 99% of the progress bar. I don't know, i'm not desperate trying to open that map, but maybe there's a possible bug with large maps, even in 32 bit Windows.
The current solution (or work-around) for decals is to create "flat" Bezier Patches and apply a (partially) translucent material to them.
LOL, I actually thought about doing it that way.
Thanks 4 your fast reply. :D
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-07, 20:08

Hi BRabbit,
it's good to hear the overlay works again! :up:
BRabbit wrote:[...], but i never managed to open it. It seems like it crashes when it reaches, like, 99% of the progress bar. I don't know, i'm not desperate trying to open that map, but maybe there's a possible bug with large maps, even in 32 bit Windows.
Well, as with all bugs, I must be able to reproduce it locally in order to find and fix it. The only issue that I'm aware of is the aforementioned bug 47.
What exactly happens when the progress bar reaches 99%?
Best regards,
Carsten
BRabbit

Post by BRabbit » 2010-11-07, 22:28

Well, I finally could open it! I don't know how it took, i just left it opening and when I came back later it was opened! So, there's no bug.
I was wonder, anyway, that it would be better for performance reasons (given that this is a 3D game engine) to write SIMD code paths for every vertex and math calculations. As fair as I have seen, there isn't any SIMD code right?
I would like to write that code, (maybe reusing some from the book 3D Game Engine Programming from Stefan Zerbst, a really good book, although a bit outdated).
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-08, 22:05

BRabbit wrote:I was wonder, anyway, that it would be better for performance reasons (given that this is a 3D game engine) to write SIMD code paths for every vertex and math calculations. As fair as I have seen, there isn't any SIMD code right?
Well... performance optimization should start where the bottleneck is, and determining that in turn requires performance profiling first.

Probably the worst problem is that with SIMD, we need a fall-back when no such support is available, or otherwise we'd lose portability. I also hoped that compilers would do the job, at least in simple cases, or in the future, so I never really bothered (so far).

And you know this famous quote, right? ;)
“Premature optimization is the root of all evil.” - Donald Knuth
Best regards,
Carsten