Prefabs

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Shadow
Prefabs

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-17, 15:27

Is there ANY possible way to make a prefab or any level object outside of hammer? i cannot stand making these things in hammer and i have no clue how you go your maps as detailed as they are with hammer.
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-17, 18:01

Well, you could use any other HL1 map editor, make your prefabs (or maps) there, and then simply load them with Hammer. Basically any editor that supports HL1 map editing should work.

Otoh, I don't understand why you dislike Hammer that much. (I use version 3.5beta, just for reference.) Hammer is in fact very simple to use and yet very powerful. As CaWE will be somewhat similar to Hammer, I'd be interested in learning what exactly you find wrong about it. Please let us know. Maybe you've just overlooked one of its basic features?
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-18, 05:46

i just find it to hard to make detailed maps, as compared to like a 3d editor like max or wings. having more face division commands would help alot!! i like hammer except it takes forever to get a detailed mesh. add like cut edge 3,4,5 instead of just 2. also some easier camera controls would be most appreciated. try out wings3d at http://www.wings3d.com. its what i use the most and i love it
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-18, 10:45

Shadow wrote:having more face division commands would help alot!! i like hammer except it takes forever to get a detailed mesh. add like cut edge 3,4,5 instead of just 2.
Well, the modelling philosophy behind Hammer is different from the modelling philosophy in 3DSMax, Wings, etc. Hammer is not mesh- or subdivision-based, but centric on brushes.
Being with brushes as creative as you're used to be with meshes is indeed more difficult than with meshes. The Clip and Vertex-Edit tools are very helpful in this regard, but essentially the full palette of Hammer features must be exploited in order to achieve best results: Other tools are brush rotation and shearing, there are other very powerful stock solids like archs, etc.

Besides brushes, there are bezier patches (in CaWE), static detail mdl models, terrains (CaWE), etc. for additional detail that is not "limited" as brushes are.
also some easier camera controls would be most appreciated.
Have you tried both the keyboard and mouse navigation for camera control? I think it's very easy. Almost like the in-game mouse-look controls.

Please don't get me wrong: I don't want to defend Hammer or CaWE against better approaches. Otoh, I think that many people don't see any problems with Hammer and really like it, even "power mappers" do. So the existing features must be good for something, too. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-18, 22:25

yes hammer is not all bad. i just find it difficult to get a nice looking mesh.
i have tried the different camera methods but like having a camera lock thing and then being able to control with mouse would be nice.
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!