Hello (some initial questions)

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Rich
Hello (some initial questions)

Post by Rich » 2010-12-24, 19:57

Hi all,
Just registered on the forums and downloaded the engine a few days ago.

Just wanted to say hi, this seems like a really nice community and I've got a really good idea for a project that I'd love to implement using this engine (which I am really looking forward to getting stuck into).

I've just got a few really quick questions to ask about editing in the world editor.

What kind of scale does the engine work on in the editor. For example, how high should walls be in relation to the player?

If I create a static mesh in an external program and import it into the engine. How does the texturing work? Will I have to have all the textures as one image for the UV mapping? Or can I UV map it but apply different material on a per face level in the editor?
(Sorry if that one was a bit vague, I only do this as a hobby so I find it hard to explain myself sometimes not knowing what the correct terms are for things).

Do meshes imported have to be closed meshes?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Sorry if it came across as a bit of an interrogation on my first post lol

I cant wait to get cracking on my project (I'll upload pics when I get some stuff together if you want :) )

Regards,
Rich
Kai

Re: Hello (some initial questions)

Post by Kai » 2010-12-24, 23:16

Hi Rich an welcome to the forum :)

I'm trying to answer your questions :
What kind of scale does the engine work on in the editor. For example, how high should walls be in relation to the player?
That depends on your model size, but you can check some of the demos and load up a map and look for the player_model_entity, as far as i know it should be about 64 or 72 units . but thats only my guess (currently im on mac so i can't check.
If I create a static mesh in an external program and import it into the engine. How does the texturing work? Will I have to have all the textures as one image for the UV mapping? Or can I UV map it but apply different material on a per face level in the editor?
That depends on your model format, until the new modeleditor is done obj would be ideal for static.
Currently this supports only one uv channel per surface. So you should provide a channel that contains all the required uv's.
We are planning to support multiple channels for example to load an external lightmap and then a texture each on a separate channel.

However in both cases you need to already have uv's on your model, the editor will not allow you to create complex uv layout's, besides there are nice freeware apps like Roadkill
Do meshes imported have to be closed meshes?
No that is not needed, however shadows rely on polygons to be visible, having open areas could cause wrong shadows. In such cases you could disable shadow casting for that material or fix it.

Hope this helps a little to get started :)
Rich

Post by Rich » 2010-12-25, 10:41

Hi,

Thankyou for the nice welcome and helpful information.

That link looks very useful thanks, I'll check it out. I'm using blender 3d (latest beta) for my 3d modelling but because its the beta, the 'consolidate UV's into one image' command hasnt been added yet, and the collada exporter doesnt work lol so my modelling had come to a bit of a dead end. But the .obj exporter works and I'll have a look at this Roadkill and hopefully I'll be back in business :D

I'll upload a few screenshots of my models in action in the near future :)
Is there a place I could start a work in progress thread?

Regards,
Rich
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-12-28, 12:27

Hi Rich,
also from me a welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Rich wrote:Is there a place I could start a work in progress thread?
Just use the sub-forum that matches your work best, e.g. for models, use
Models, Materials, Textures, Sound, Music, ...

As Kai already said, the upcoming model editor will make dealing with models much easier than it is now (preliminary screenshots) -- I'll do my best to complete it as soon as possible.

:up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Rich

Post by Rich » 2010-12-29, 16:26

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome carsten.

I'll try and upload some shots of what I've been working on later today.
That model editor looks great, looking forward to have a mess around with it :)

I'm really enjoying using the engine, thanks for the information :)

Regards,
Rich