CaWE visual problem - clipping distance set too short?

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
drwbns
CaWE visual problem - clipping distance set too short?

Post by drwbns » 2011-03-26, 09:00

I had a strange problem when making my first map. After making a simple( yet huge!) box(the biggest size CaWE can make), I had a lot of trouble moving around the viewport space in 3D. Almost as though the clipping distance is set to a very short distance and I could see the skybox clipping through the brushes. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does CaWE have a problem with extremely large maps or is this some kind of GPU incapability or coding bug in CaWE? I'll post a screenshot to show what I'm talking about...
drwbns

Re: CaWE visual problem - clipping distance set too short?

Post by drwbns » 2011-03-26, 10:00

I increased the clipping distance to the maximum number but it still seems too short, is there a place in the code where I can increase the clipping distance even more? I uploaded a short video showing the problem here(I think it's easier to see in fullscreen)- The black background is invading into the walls -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7AdUzWCFX0
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-03-27, 11:00

drwbns wrote:I increased the clipping distance to the maximum number but it still seems too short, is there a place in the code where I can increase the clipping distance even more?
Ok, when you set the back clipping plane to max (100000) in the Configure CaWE dialog, it only affects new cameras.
That is, if you create a new camera using the Camera tool, or if you restart CaWE, the new setting is in effect.
I just tried this here and with a back plane at 100000, I can see from the center of the map to all furthest possible walls.

If you still want to increase the setting, in line http://trac.cafu.de/browser/cafu/trunk/ ... =head#L560, replace the number 100000 with e.g. 200000, recompile, restart CaWE, set a larger value in the Configure CaWE dialog, then open the map.
Best regards,
Carsten
drwbns

Post by drwbns » 2011-03-27, 19:28

Awesome! Thanks for the info :)