The tech demo map

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
scott
The tech demo map

Post by scott » 2004-10-22, 14:25

So Carsten, how is the tech demo map coming along, can you show off any pics? :)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-23, 10:19

Well, I'm sorry to say that it is not coming along at all. :cry:
Kai is working on models and textures, which I believe will be very good.
I'm currently working (at lot!) on CaWE and the Ca3DE core for integrating the MatSys. I hope to be able to complete both soon, as there is also a lot of other interesting stuff to be done about the Ca3DE internals (like cvars, scripting, and a lot more).

So, unfortunately, there is little progress about the TechDemo map. This is partly because it seems to require a complete CaWE first, although that is only the half story (can still use Hammer 3.5, even if less Ca3DE specific than CaWE).

I'm currently thinking about releasing another demo and updated MDK ahead of time, somewhen in November or December. Don't know if it will contain CaWE or not, but certainly the MatSys support for the engine, and certainly not the TechDemo map.

Once more, I'm very sorry about this, but in fact we needed a motivated and very good mapper if this should be changed sooner.
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2004-10-23, 14:23

HMMM I'm sorry to hear its going so slowly, I thought Afecelis was helping or is he too busy now? Well hopefully some of the other mappers may decide to help out, even if its just a dm level.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-23, 15:48

scott wrote:is he too busy now?
Yes, probably, I think so.
Well hopefully some of the other mappers may decide to help out, even if its just a dm level.
I hope so, too. Eventually of course, if no one else does, I'll do the work myself. As always, that's a matter of priority, though.
Best regards,
Carsten
scott

Post by scott » 2004-10-23, 18:00

well since I'm here, Is CAWE running stable yet?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-23, 23:07

scott wrote:well since I'm here, Is CAWE running stable yet?
Well, yes, but its feature set is still inferior than that of Hammer, and the Ca3DE specific issues are also still mostly missing (except for the important support for the new upcoming MatSys, which I hope to finish soon).
John is making good progress with Bezier Patches support, and I hope that direct terrain support can be added soon either. However, our time is still mostly occupied with getting rid of MFC, and replacing it with wx (http://www.wxwidgets.org).
At the same time we spend quite some effort in both code and GUI redesign, with the intention to make the GUI similar to Hammer whereever the Hammer GUI has good or very good solutions to common problems. Other weaker spots we try to revise with own GUI enhancements/rearrangements.

Good news is that (per person) a lot of work is spent on CaWE, John and I are doing our best, and our progress is good. Additional coders would surely help, and are always welcome!
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-24, 21:23

what kind of gui help do you need? i might be able to offer coding assitance in a month or so once i learn the language better. i can also help with maths and such if you need them.
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-25, 11:49

Shadow wrote:what kind of gui help do you need? i might be able to offer coding assitance in a month or so once i learn the language better. i can also help with maths and such if you need them.
Thanks. Initially, a good understanding of and familiarization with wx ( http://www.wxwidgets.org ) would be required (we currently use version 2.4.2). This is also worthwhile learning for projects other than CaWE. wx knowledge must not be perfect (neither is mine), but wx is the windowing framework for CaWE, and as such, the important central GUI component.
The math and basically everything else within CaWE is pretty much self contained, but the huge code base takes a lot of time to familiarize.

Just let me know when you feel you're ready, I'll then provide you with the details about Subversion repository access. Knowledge about using Subversion is also required (I operate a version 1.0 server, you just need a user client). Subversion is the successor of CVS, and as above, its learning is worthwhile also for other projects than CaWE. The Subversion website is at http://subversion.tigris.org , the book is at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ . Depending on how familiar you are with other version control systems, at least chapters 1 to 3 are highly recommended.
Best regards,
Carsten