Kill Player When She Hits Something

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
MonoAlithica
Kill Player When She Hits Something

Post by MonoAlithica » 2012-02-18, 13:44

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was any way to kill the player instantly when he hits a layer or object or something. I'm a noob at this stuff so I don't know if I'm missing something in the entities list or whatever.. I want to be able to kill the player if he falls off the edge of the map and goes a certain distance downwards.

Any help would be great! Never used Cafu untill today after I discovered how much money it would cost to licence UDK :shock:

Thanks.
HWGuy

Re: Kill Player When She Hits Something

Post by HWGuy » 2012-02-18, 14:27

It's been a while since I've tried but you could make a trigger and fire a script which kills or teleports the player upon contact. The integrated physics is smart enough to calculate fall damage, although I'm not familiar with that code... could track the player's speed in 3D space, and when there's a sudden change you can inflict damage, then falling or crashing into things would hurt the player.

Heh, I like Unreal3, but UDK is too limited to do what I want so I'd have to buy the commercial license... which I couldn't possibly afford.
MonoAlithica

Post by MonoAlithica » 2012-02-18, 15:25

Thanks for replying ^-^
I'm not too good with the scripting stuff, I have no idea how to and no real interest in it.. I suppose i'm gunna have to learn it if I wanna make games though, darn.
Yeah I would much rather use Cafu for game developing, can't wait for a future release of it (whenever that comes out).

Anyway, the script you talk about is in Lua right? I thought I was missing some sort of collision option in the properties or something..
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2012-02-18, 15:45

Ya, Lua, it's one of the easiest languages there is and Cafu has support for Lua scripting throughout the engine.

There's a new stable release of Cafu on the way which brings in a new animation system, once that comes out the next major release will have a new graphics engine.