Another Character, Dialog and Cutscenes

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
MonoAlithica
Another Character, Dialog and Cutscenes

Post by MonoAlithica » 2012-03-06, 19:55

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to have any sort of cutscene or cinematic, which isn't a separate movie file, played when a character gets to a certain point or certain place.
Also, there would be another character introduced who is moving, it possible to add a character who initially does nothing but move around, and once you've talked to her she moves around with you?
And dialog in the form of text, can that be done in this GUI editor thing where I get to a point and it elegantly starts displaying dialog (fades in, displays for 5 seconds, fades out).

Sorry about all the basic questions, I'm trying to make a game using Cafu with only a very small amount of experience in anything related to creation. I've tried getting into the code side of things but pretty much given up hope on that at this point.

Thanks
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Another Character, Dialog and Cutscenes

Post by Carsten » 2012-03-07, 22:42

Hi MonoAlithica,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
MonoAlithica wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to have any sort of cutscene or cinematic, which isn't a separate movie file, played when a character gets to a certain point or certain place.
Yes, I don't see why not: You'd need an animation sequence that animates your character in whatever way you like, and you'd initiate this by a script function e.g. when the character walks into a trigger volume.
Also, there would be another character introduced who is moving, it possible to add a character who initially does nothing but move around, and once you've talked to her she moves around with you?
Yes, this too should be possible. A very simple implementation of a character that moves with you can be seen in the TechDemo sample map.
And dialog in the form of text, can that be done in this GUI editor thing where I get to a point and it elegantly starts displaying dialog (fades in, displays for 5 seconds, fades out).
Yes, that too. Just a matter of programming it, and it should be relatively easy.
We don't have a lot of fance example, but you can see the occasional fade and blend in our GUIs. It's just a matter of improving and extending.
Best regards,
Carsten