questions about cafu gui editor

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
wmburn
questions about cafu gui editor

Post by wmburn » 2012-04-06, 23:40

Hi all.
I am interested, how powerfull cafu gui editor is? Can i make gui like in mass effect 1/2/3 or dead space 1/2?
Does inventory management count as gui? (menu that contains items, armors, weapons...)
sorry for my bad engish.
With gratitude
wmburn
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: questions about cafu gui editor

Post by Carsten » 2012-04-07, 10:41

Hi wmburn,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

Essentially, the answer to your questions is yes, but have a look at Is Cafu right for our game of genre "..."? for additional info.
Best regards,
Carsten
wmburn

Post by wmburn » 2012-04-07, 12:33

well Sir it is clear that user cant overstep a boudaries of an engine, if you want somenthing that this engine cant give you, you have to modify engine to allowe you greater things :)
thank you for your answer Sir
Kai

Post by Kai » 2012-04-08, 06:26

Hi there and welcome
I am interested, how powerfull cafu gui editor is? Can i make gui like in mass effect 1/2/3 or dead space 1/2?
Does inventory management count as gui? (menu that contains items, armors, weapons...)
In general every system has a basic functionality , but comparing this with a specific game is kind of wrong for the simple reason that those games are very specifically designed, so is the entire technology around them

Mass Effects GUI has two setups, one for ingame and one for menus and inventory. In theory you could mimic the same behavior as there is nothing really fancy going on.

Deadspace goes the same but displays it inside the actual 3D environment, next to the player. So a GUI that keeps a position relative to the player.
Each of those ideas can be translated but require additional coding.

Just as a sidenote, so you see the differences why these games have UIs this way :)

For Deadspace the UI also has a purpose other than just looking cool ! It is to keep the player in the game while selecting something, so when creatures approach him there is no artificial pause "saving" the player to think what to do.

That is the exact opposite of what Mass Effect is doing where you can pause ANYTIME to make moves or plan strategies WHILE playing.
wmburn

Post by wmburn » 2012-04-08, 13:34

thank you for the answer