Numerical stability of cmap files

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Carsten
Site Admin
Numerical stability of cmap files

Post by Carsten » 2005-12-09, 17:49

Hi all,

as we now have the TechDemo.cmap file in the Subversion repository, this is a good time to revise the numerical stability of the cmap file format.

That means that when I load a cmap into CaWE and then save it again, I want to obtain exactly the same file (which is an ascii text file as you know) as before.

This is not a strictly necessary requirement, but still very useful. It helps to keep the repository size small, because Subversion always only saves the differences between a revision and the next. Also, as you all know, I'm a hell of a mean guy who sometimes even runs
svn diff -r someXY:head TechDemo.cmap
and examines the output. :) That means I look at the text contents of the file to see what has changed. This is great for debugging many things. ;)

However, achieving this goal is pretty difficult, because high-precision output (many digits) and even the tiniest computations with the numbers between loading and saving them triggers e.g. a difference after e.g. the 10-th digit after the decimal.
And as I recently increased the precision of cmap files a lot, I was in severe trouble yesterday and today.
However, the problem is 90% solved, but I still keep the TechDemo.cmap file locked until I'm finished with the fixed code for overwriting it with a new version.

I've no time to finish this tonight (Friday), but will do so over the weekend.
Just wanted to let you know the latest status! :wink:
Have a nice WE! 8)
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2005-12-09, 23:30

Okay, the problem is solved and the latest TD map is checked into the repository.
Please see
svn log -r 151:head
for details.
(Please remember that the server is normally down over weekends... sorry for that, but otherwise I had to sleep next to the running thing. ;) )
The only catch is that I had to introduce a new map file version for fixing this. That means that you'll need the latest CaWE exe to open the new map. :roll:
I'll prepare the download over the weekend though! Sorry for the inconvenience. :oops:
Best regards,
Carsten