Help-Demo can't find renderer

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Fractangle
Help-Demo can't find renderer

Post by Fractangle » 2006-02-13, 01:03

When I start the program, and I click on OK, it says: "Sorry, was not able to find any renderer that is supported on your system."

In the program window, four renderers failed, and it said "Renderers/RendererNull_win32_vc60_r.dll ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto selection <Pref# 1>."

I'm running Windows XP.

-Fractangle
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-02-13, 03:56

Hi there :)

Whats your system spec ? Card, cpu, ram etc ..
This would help us a lot to pin down your problem.
Sounds to me like a weak gfx card but could also be another problem.
Fractangle

Post by Fractangle » 2006-02-13, 19:05

I'm running Ca3d on a 1ghz Pentium 3 with Windows XP, the graphics card is a Radeon something or other 3d card with support for hardware transform & lighting, and it's got 128 meg of RAM. The system originally had Win ME, but it was upgraded because AOE3 needs Win XP for some reason.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-02-14, 10:44

Hi Fractangle,

do other 3D games run on your system?
Do you have DirectX and the latest ATI drivers (for OpenGL) installed?
As Kai already said, if Ca3DE is not able to find any renderer at all, that is typically a problem with your system. In your case, it sounds like you don't have the proper ATI drivers - the Windows built-ins don't have the required features even for the minimal renderer.
Best regards,
Carsten
Fractangle

Post by Fractangle » 2006-02-15, 00:17

Yeah, other 3d games run on my system.
Yes, I have DirectX and I believe I have good ATI drivers.
There were 5 renderers for windows in the renderers folder in the Ca3dE directory, so it's not that there are no renderers. I don't know a lot about ATI drivers, though. I'll have to check with my dad. He should know.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-02-15, 11:33

Okay, please do that, and if in doubt, upgrade to the latest driver please.

Normally, if all else fails, the RendererOpenGL12_*.dll renderer should work.
If it still doesn't with the latest driver from ATI, you might try to rename all other renderer dlls except the OpenGL12 one into e.g. RendererCgNV3X_*.dll_ (that is, append a "_" to the end of the name), so that when Ca3DE initially scans the available renderers, only the RendererOpenGL12*.dll is found.

If that works, please let me know. Also note that the graphics will be of much lower quality than you see in the screenshots. However, in order to get good graphics with an ATI board, the RendererARBprogs must work.
(Which in turn requires at least a Radeon 9600, iirc.)

Also please check your desktop display settings. Are you running your desktop with at least 16 BPP (65536 colors or more)?
Best regards,
Carsten