New here!

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-04-19, 13:25

Sindwiller, thanks for putting the file online, I will look into it later today.
However, please give it a proper name next time.
My harddisk already is full with thousands of files named "blah.zip" - how am I supposed to re-find yours?
And i dont like E-Mails
Very bad, you should get used to them. Inevitable if you want to get proficient with computers. Btw, emails are a lot easier to use than any forum, website, channels, ...
because my Windows Thunderbird cannot send emails
Maybe you should just fix the problem?
Best regards,
Carsten
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-19, 18:14

Very bad, you should get used to them. Inevitable if you want to get proficient with computers. Btw, emails are a lot easier to use than any forum, website, channels, ...
Oh, i use them widely. I'm also an subscriber of the Wilhelm-Tux Mailing List :D . But i only use Emails on Linux.
Maybe you should just fix the problem?
It is an TB related bug or something like that. Or nerdshack.com doesnt like TB ;) . TB uses the same SMTP-Adress and password like Evolution on Linux, and TB says everytime i want to send a Mail that the passwords incorrect.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-04-20, 00:25

You have a gmx account, so why not creating a gmx folder in TB ?
Not the all-in-one solution, but you can recive and send mails via TB (which is a great mail client ;) )
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-20, 11:08

Kai wrote:You have a gmx account, so why not creating a gmx folder in TB ?
Not the all-in-one solution, but you can recive and send mails via TB (which is a great mail client ;) )
o_O Where you know that i have an GMX-Account :roll:

Well, ive tried to export a simple box and it worked (except that there isnt collision detection, or is that an entity option?). But my pipe-model is still not working :( .

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-04-20, 11:19

There is currently no collision detection support for static detail models. But what you can do is to place a clip brush in the CaWE mapping editor around it, then it works, other games like Quake 3 titles work this way too!
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-20, 12:01

Thrawn wrote:There is currently no collision detection support for static detail models. But what you can do is to place a clip brush in the CaWE mapping editor around it, then it works, other games like Quake 3 titles work this way too!
Thx for the tipp.

And anyway... im an idiot. :oops: Forget about that model, it works :roll: .

It was just too high scaled...

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-04-20, 12:19

That really caused the problem? I also tried scaling it down but well not enough - I didn't know that a wrong scaling also can cause probs...
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-04-20, 12:24

Neither did I... I'll have a look into the model anyway...
Best regards,
Carsten
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-04-20, 13:28

So what do we learn about that ? ^^

Always create props and other static meshes items in a specific 3d enviroment.
I always have a basic reference (i use the trinity mesh for visual size mesure) file and a customized grid setting (equivalent to the units in CaWE) in 3dsmax.

This gives me a much better control about how big or small an item is. If you want to use normalmaps or later animation, you must avoid any scaling or scale it before you do anything else.
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-20, 14:15

Always create props and other static meshes items in a specific 3d enviroment.
Well, first of all, i dont have enough money for 3DsMax. Second, CAWE doesnt have enough functions to be an modeler...
(i use the trinity mesh for visual size mesure)
Good idea :D

But its all about practice! I can set up an default grid size in DeleD and use it for reference (for example, a normal character is 10 boxes big).

Wfr, Sindwiller

ps. CA3DE is awesome! =)
Im Working on:
Kai

Post by Kai » 2006-04-20, 14:48

Oh sorry you misunderstood my approach :)

With "specific 3d enviroment" i was talking about a specific setup you use when creating Ca3D stuff only !
This of course software independent, its was just an example of my workflow because i use max. You can use whatever software you like, as far as it is capable to clean export and import the necessary file formats ;)
I always start with a file that contains Trinity and a perfect gridsetup, then i start modelling ^^

No, so far CaWe is suppose to be the world modelling tool, since a few versions before there was no editor at all (you had to use Valve's hammer instead)

Developing and engineering is a real slow process, even with a very talented coder like Carsten.
So this community is quite small in compare to others, but thats why it is so valuable ! I hope you enjoy it ^^
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-20, 15:42

Developing and engineering is a real slow process, even with a very talented coder like Carsten.
So this community is quite small in compare to others, but thats why it is so valuable ! I hope you enjoy it ^^
Oh, i already am! :D

Have fun with developing your CA3DE M0d... r'not. ;) I'll bear you company.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-04-21, 14:16

I was just reading the "Licensing" Page... and found something:
No map editor is included with Ca3DE (please refer to the NewMaterials.pdf document for more details).
Duh? :roll:

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-04-21, 14:23

Some page content is really outdated and years old ;) But thx for reporting, I'm sure Carsten will change this by chance.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-04-23, 10:31

Sindwiller, thanks for pointing that out!
I just removed that line, but Thrawn is right: Some day I really should take the time and review some of the pages, as they're really old now.
Best regards,
Carsten