Anyone make a "First room" tutorial for CaWE?

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Deathbliss
Anyone make a "First room" tutorial for CaWE?

Post by Deathbliss » 2006-06-08, 11:12

Well I just recently found Ca3D and I want to start building right away, but I need a "first room" tutorial. Did someone write one yet? If not could someone write one? Thanks!

Oh and a question about the terrain tools for future reference... Is it heightmap only or do you have some terrain manipulation tools in CaWE? If you don't have such tools yet you have my vote to include them in a future build of Ca3D!

Keep up the good work! From what I've seen so far this Ca3D is looking pretty sweet!
- Deathbliss
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-06-08, 21:41

Oh sry, actually, it was my work to do that tutorial :oops: :( But i hadnt time to finish it. I will restart work soon, so maybe, i'll be finished at sunday. :oops: :(

Wfr, Sindwiller

EDIT: and another actually: You can also use some HL2-Mapping Tutorials. The Program for Ca3DE is very VHE (the World Editor for HL2) like. You just need to choose other entities...
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Deathbliss

No problem!

Post by Deathbliss » 2006-06-08, 22:33

Looking forward to the tutorial when it's completed :), and may try your advice - thank you!
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-06-12, 21:27

Well, that was shit. I was almost finished with the tutorial and i accidently pressed a bookmark and loaded the page, so the Post Data of the last 10 minutes or something like that was lost :shock: At least, not everything is lost. I will finish the tutorial tomorrow:

http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/doku.php ... :my1stroom

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Deathbliss

Looking good!

Post by Deathbliss » 2006-06-13, 00:56

It's looking good! I'm sorry you lost some data, and I feel yopur pain - been there myself when writting stuff. Things like long masterworks of a post all gone with the click of a button.

Anyhow can't wait for the rest!
- Deathbliss

PS - You know anything about getting Terragen scenes into Ca3D - I think I read somewhere that this could be done or something...
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-06-13, 08:21

You know anything about getting Terragen scenes into Ca3D
Yes, there is the possibility to export the terrain (Heightmap) from Terragen into CA3DE. But only the terrain. No light or textures. Anyway, the terrains who are auto-generated by Terragen are'nt very well to use in games. They maybe seem realistic, but where's the playground ;)

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2006-06-13, 13:28

You can not just use the Terragen terrains in form of *.ter files (must be 257x257, 513x513 or 1025x1025 pixels resolution), but also the texture.

Therefor, there is a special technique to render the texture. The problem with Terragen maps is that it is sometimes hard to create exactly what you want, for example flat passages, that's why it is sometimes a good solution to save the heightmap as a picutre like jpg and modify it with other programs.

Carsten is our expert for this ;)
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-06-16, 17:46

Well, its almost finished, but im too tired to add chapter about lights and entities (info_player_deathmatch).

Anyway: http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/doku.php ... :my1stroom

Wfr, Sindwiller

PS. Without having entities and lights, the map will not compile properly.
Im Working on:
kevino

Post by kevino » 2007-03-25, 20:52

What if for some reason our textures dont show up when i hit browse?
Bring you an even better now! With wetter watter, more pearlescent paint, and making your kung-fu kung-fu-ier!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-03-25, 21:51

Hi Kevino,
kevino wrote:What if for some reason our textures dont show up when i hit browse?
well, there are several possible causes that come to mind:
  • Did you un-zip the downloaded .zip file properly, preserving the original directory structure?
  • Did you properly configure CaWE as described at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/mapping:cawe:install ? (Are the paths right?)
  • Initial (first-time) loading of the CaWE materials may take a while (subsequently pressing the Browse button works much faster).
If you checked these issues and everything seems okay, please let us know what else you see: Any error messages? Blank/black screen? Dummy material images? etc.
Best regards,
Carsten