3D Skydomes

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Stephen
3D Skydomes

Post by Stephen » 2006-08-14, 14:54

Are you thinking of implementing 3D skydomes in Ca3DE? They really add a lot of depth to a world, and make it seem larger. You can read about them in the Valve Developer Wiki. Here's a quote:
Adding a 3D skybox can be a powerful addition to the visual treatment of a level. The 3D skybox is extra area constructed by the level designer that is outside the bounds of the gameplay portion of the map. When the map is loaded, Source enlarges the objects in the 3D skbox area and places them outside the boundaries of the current level, between the skybox and the player. This is used to give the appearance of a much wider world out side of your level, without being too expensive on the budget due to the (by default) 1:16 scale. 3D skyboxes are non-interactive – the player and other entities cannot move into the 3D skybox space.

3D skybox geometry can be indistinguishable from normal level geometry. Seamless transitions from normal level geometry and 3D skybox are very possible, and used in many of the official Counter-Strike: Source maps.

Note: A 3D skybox is not a replacement for a 2D skybox. The 2D skybox is always in the background of the 3D skybox. To edit or change the standard 2D skybox, see Skybox (2D).
They are very cool. If you've played a CS:Source map, you'll know what I mean.

-Stephen
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: 3D Skydomes

Post by Carsten » 2006-08-14, 20:19

Stephen wrote:Are you thinking of implementing 3D skydomes in Ca3DE?
[...]
They are very cool. If you've played a CS:Source map, you'll know what I mean.
Well, yes, these boxes are nice (they also occur in the HL2 single-player game), but they're not really crucial. I have them on my list, but other issues have much higher priority right now.
Best regards,
Carsten
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-08-16, 10:22

Well, 3D-Skyboxes are cool (ive mapped for CSS and HL2 though^^). But also a bit long winded. You need to make a new world for your map on 0,0,0 coordinates, scaled by 0.15 etc. etc. :roll: I would prefer another way. You make your map and you define the parts, who are far away (eg. mountains) with a func_something (maybe func_skybox) brush. The brushes and models who are in the func_skybox are handled different. Fading and fog is much higher and different than in the near world.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2006-08-16, 11:33

Well, if you want to put your sky brushes into the normal world, then you can just do so: Just put them in. No special action required. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
Sindwiller

Post by Sindwiller » 2006-08-16, 14:37

Carsten wrote:Well, if you want to put your sky brushes into the normal world, then you can just do so: Just put them in. No special action required. ;)
And when i have very detailed sky geometry, the performance sucks like hell... :roll:

The Point here is, that they sky brushes should have different fading, fog and such stuff. For example, ive got a building who i place 0.25 scaled into the sky part. The problem is: Because that it is already small scaled, it would only make more problems to create more and more sky space to achieve the illusion of big distances.

Wfr, Sindwiller
Im Working on:
- Some Linux Bash-Scripts for installing stuff. Dont ask further questions, because i can't explain that more simple ^^