engine capacity

Discuss artwork in all of its forms here, from level design to GUI button themes. New MODs planning, work-in-progress and other samples are welcome in this forum as well.
Deadalus
engine capacity

Post by Deadalus » 2004-10-01, 16:28

i was wondering what kind of performance Ca3de is able to offer in turn of polycount fof model , size for texture & sprite and all that stuff.
close to doom 3 ? ut2k3??

since i want to use it with full power i want to know what it can handle ;)
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-02, 01:38

it should be able to handle quite a bit. as far as i know nobody has 'overloaded' it. i think kai can tell you what the models in the demo have for poly counts. just curious what are you planning on making? im working on an online FPS right now... mostly still learning the system but i had a working engine in another langauge..
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Deadalus

Post by Deadalus » 2004-10-02, 03:04

mainly reworking or just modding the deatmatch with my stuff

i used to work on a solo adventure but now i'm converting it to a deathmatch
so i can work more on the story from behind.
BTW all model are made from me

i
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: engine capacity

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-02, 11:52

Deadalus wrote:close to doom 3 ?
Yes. 8)
Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-02, 11:55

Deadalus wrote:BTW all model are made from me
Wow. Looking good. Great work!
Best regards,
Carsten
Kai

Post by Kai » 2004-10-02, 13:52

The current playermodels are based on HL1 specs as far as i know . .. so they are very small i think around 600 -800 and with very ugly small textures ^^

So the real limit is based on mdl format itself, as far as i know the (hl1) mdl maximum polycount is 6k.
But thats the Limit of this old format, im sure Carsten will use some more advanced like Doom3 MD Format, which offers a lot more flexibility in animating, since mdl offers bone rotation an movement only. No scaling or vertex based animation is possible, and everything can only be rigid binded (so vertices can only have 100 or 0 % of influence from bone)

So all polycounts are okay, the only thing you have to have in mind is the stencil shadow. Id software used in some case a specific lowpoly "shadow volume" model. For example, all scenes where you can see you alter ego in seqences, it dropped a shadow , but not of the original model. There was a second invisible model that was attached to the same skeleton system as the playermodel. It was a lot more lowpoly and "closed-2 -manifold" set to be invisible and only to cast shadow on everything (except the visible playermodel)
This not only gives more performance it also avoids the very ugly vertexedge selfshadowing artifacts, and you can have models that are not fitting the close-2-manifold rule (and therefore save again performance)
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-02, 18:41

those are nice models... wish i had a modeller like you on my team :(
the chick in black reminds me of konoko from the game oni...
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Edareot

Wow

Post by Edareot » 2005-01-19, 23:03

Hey,

Just to reintroduce myself I am Edareot, returnig from the outside world of coding as you just cant beat Ca3De without speding the time starting an engine from scratch. I just have to post this here to say WOW. Oh my god those models are good, and may I ask where your inspiration came from?

-Edareot
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Wow

Post by Carsten » 2005-01-20, 09:32

Edareot wrote:Just to reintroduce myself I am Edareot, returnig from the outside world of coding as you just cant beat Ca3De without speding the time starting an engine from scratch.
Nice to hear that, and welcome back :D
Best regards,
Carsten