Terrain demonstration

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-06-02, 17:39

i cant fathom this out :frown: i got the leak problem fixed now my map is black,i can compile and start in the map but no terrain and no texture,trouble is it was working,i have seen the texture and terrain ...
meh ill keep trying

edit: no it was not the terrain and texture it was the skybox i saw,im going to keep trying but 3 nights on this and no results i hope the new version is a bit more productive.
maybe it is my png's or jpg's ill try a .ter file,surely it cant be this hard to get a terrain in there,all the compiler does is start an existing cw file.
as for finding and fixing the leaks,phew
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-06-02, 21:00

Jojimbo, your problem description sounds like you compiled the map properly (including CaLight), except that there is no lightsource.

Please try to re-compile, but remove the checkmark at "4. Run CaLight" in the Compile menu. The map will then be compiled without any radiosity computations, which in turn will keep it full-bright.
Best regards,
Carsten
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-06-02, 21:10

this ran ok but its all black apart from the skybox

> compile (quick) C:\Ca3DE-SDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine\Games\DeathMatch\Maps\Savanna.cmap

C:\Ca3DE-SDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine>C:\Ca3DE-SDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine\CaBSP.exe Games\DeathMatch\Maps\Savanna.cmap Games\DeathMatch\Worlds\Savanna.cw

*** Ca3DE Binary Space Partitioning Utility, Version 9 (Mar 6 2007) ***

Registering archive "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/TechDemo.zip".
Registering archive "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip".
*** Load World Games\DeathMatch\Maps\Savanna.cmap ***
Face Children : 36 Draw World Outer Point Samples: 6
PointLights : 0
InfoPlayerStarts : 1
Other Children : 1
GameEntities : 0

*** Binary Space Partitioning *** 0: 0: 1
Nodes created : 57
Leaves created : 58
Faces : 72

*** Portalization *** 0: 0: 1
Portalization : done
Portals : 254

*** Fill Inside *** 0: 0: 1
Faces : 6

*** Chop Up Interpenetrations *** 0: 0: 1
Faces : 26

Nodes created : 19
Leaves created : 20
Faces : 32

Portals : 71

*** Process Liquids *** 0: 0: 1

*** Merge Faces *** 0: 0: 1

*** Chop up for max LightMap size *** 0: 0: 1

*** Chop up for max SHLMap size *** 0: 0: 1

Nodes created : 6
Leaves created : 7

Portals : 18

Inner Leaves : 1
Outer Leaves : 6

*** Sort Faces *** 0: 0: 1
done

*** Create Default LightMaps *** 0: 0: 1
done

*** Create zero-band SHL maps *** 0: 0: 1
done

*** Compute and Insert Clip Brushes *** 0: 0: 1
Clip Brushes : 6
Merged Clip Brushes : 6
CHulls and Bevels : done
Avg planes per brush: 6.0000
Avg brushes per leaf: 2.0000

*** Flag Water Leaves *** 0: 0: 1

*** Compute Draw Structures *** 0: 0: 1
T-Junction removal : done
Draw structures : done

*** Save World *** 0: 0: 1
Games\DeathMatch\Worlds\Savanna.cw

COMPLETED. 0: 0: 2

C:\Ca3DE-SDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine>C:\Ca3DE-SDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine\CaPVS.exe Games\DeathMatch\Worlds\Savanna.cw -maxRecDepthSL 15

*** Ca3DE Potentially Visibility Set Utility, Version 05 (Mar 6 2007) ***

maxRecDepthSL == 15
*** Load World Games\DeathMatch\Worlds\Savanna.cw ***

*** Create SuperLeaves ***
7 SuperLeaves created from
7 world leaves in CW file.

*** Initialize *** 0: 0: 0
SLs Adjacency Graph : done
SLs Bounding Boxes : done
Trivial Visibility : 1.00000
Estimated PVS : 1.00000

*** Potentially Visibility Set *** 0: 0: 0
Final Avg Visibility: 1.00000

*** Statistics ***
Size (bytes) : 8
CheckSum : 1

*** Save World *** 0: 0: 0
Games\DeathMatch\Worlds\Savanna.cw

COMPLETED. 0: 0: 1

C:\Ca3DE-SDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine>C:\Ca3DE-SDK\Projects\Ca3D-Engine\Ca3DE.exe Savanna
Ca3D-Engine, Mar 6 2007
Scanning ../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem for all available renderers...
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererARBprogs.dll ... SUCCESS - first supported renderer (Pref# 2200).
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererCgARB1.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 2100).
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererCgNV2X.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 2000).
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererNull.dll ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererOpenGL12.dll ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 1000).
Reloading previously auto-selected renderer ../Libs/build/win32/vc8/release/MaterialSystem/RendererARBprogs.dll ...
Initializing server...
Libs\MaterialSystem\MaterialManagerImpl.cpp (321): GetMaterial("Textures/Terrains/Savanna.jpg") returns NULL.
Warning: Lua script "Games/DeathMatch/Worlds/Savanna.lua" could not be loaded
(cannot open Games/DeathMatch/Worlds/Savanna.lua: No such file or directory).
OK

Connecting to localhost (127.0.0.1:30000)
(timeout 8.0 seconds)...

Libs\MaterialSystem\MaterialManagerImpl.cpp (321): GetMaterial("Textures/Terrains/Savanna.jpg") returns NULL.
Process 2520 ended normally with exit code 0.
nearly there,looks like a problem with the jpg and/or png
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-06-02, 21:37

Okay, I see, thanks for posting the log output.
The problem is probably with Step 3 in Thrawns description above.

Two questions:
Can you please post the contents of the file that you created in Step 3 of Thrawns description?
Can you see the terrain properly in CaWE, the editor, when you map is loaded? If not so, can you see it in the CaWE Material Browser? (The Material Browser opens when you click in the Browse... button in the mid of the left bar, then type savanna as the text filter.)
Best regards,
Carsten
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-06-02, 21:58

ok good news i know that although the map is black all over it is the savanna.png because me and trinity fell into the river ditch :D
ill get the material cmat file sorted later,i do believe you are correct carsten,i am such a noob :oops: see what i meant about rocket science hahaha
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-06-03, 02:49

What a numpty :oops: I had the material file all screwed up not realizing the initial entry "name of texture" was in fact just that and not the name of the heightfield.png
Ok here it is,my map but now more intrigueing questions...hehehe
1.can i edit the height in cawe,or do i have to adjust the png greyscale?
2.how do i insert the water for the river?
3.is it possible to have moving cloud layers?
4.can i introduce a "real" sun? ...if so...
5.can i have dynamic shadows?
6.do we have a billboard type system to introduce foliage such as weeds and grass?
7.how do i insert sounds into the environment?

I will check every thread myself but these are just initial questions now the world is created.

Trinity is due for a facelift once i get accustomed to the new model file format.
Thanks for your patience Carsten.[/img]
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2007-06-03, 17:02

Hi, I'm back ;)
Jojimbo wrote:1.can i edit the height in cawe,or do i have to adjust the png greyscale?
At the moment you have to edit your grayscale image in an external program.
2.how do i insert the water for the river?
See thread "Water thread".
3.is it possible to have moving cloud layers?
3D skyboxes are not yet supported.
4.can i introduce a "real" sun? ...if so...
Real? A 3d object?
5.can i have dynamic shadows?
With what you have, no. It's possible to create dynamic lights for your sun but no pc could is fast enough to calculate the shadows for such a big space. If you talk about normal dynamic shadows, you already have them. Try out the rocket launcher ;)
6.do we have a billboard type system to introduce foliage such as weeds and grass?
Not yet.
7.how do i insert sounds into the environment?
Soon to come with the coming support of enity scripting.

-----------

Jojimbo, it's horrible to see how much time you spend on such simple tasks as placing a terrain. In order to speed things up (not jsut the speed but your motivation) you should consider other ways of help than the forums. Feel free to add me via ICQ or MSN or join our IRC chat. This will speed up thrings drastically, because the engine documentation right now isn't the best ;)
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-06-05, 00:52

thanks for the help thrawn,ca3d is really quite robust,but my terrain is still as flat as a pancake :? i tried to make a new terrain using the island.ter from the tech demo and that is also flat,although in the demo is works fine.any clue as to what is causing this?
Edit: sorted it out,it helps to raise the height :oops:

oh by the way... :lol:

by the "real sun" i meant a bright light that you dont want to look at,not a 3d model,some kind of lighting trick,sunflare etc.

i see in the material cmats for the bushes/crates etc,there is reference to "noShadow" how can i turn on this shadow feature to static objects and player models?

how can i set a viewdistance,and apply fog effect in my map?

is there a way to hackjob a cloud passing over effect,ie use some type of script and code used for the butterflies/eagle?

@Carsten,is there going to be a "field of view/distance" pixel 3 shader effect for the future of ca3d?

@Thrawn,I will register an msn account asap and send you the details 8)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-06-06, 14:24

Moving cloud layers can probably be "faked" easily with the Material System, combined with the upcoming Map/Entity Scripting support. So while it's difficult to find a solution right now, without C++ coding, there is certainly coming something up soon. ;)

Same for the sun.

Dynamic shadows are currently implemented as stencil shadows as in Doom3. As such, they work great indoors, but cumbersome or not at all outdoors. That too is certainly a subject to change in the future.

About weeds and grass: Implementing the forrest rendering code ("CaTrees") of my former university project is on my TODO list among the top-priority items. See http://images.ca3de-community.de/main.p ... temId=1730 for a preview.
but my terrain is still as flat as a pancake Confused i tried to make a new terrain using the island.ter from the tech demo and that is also flat,although in the demo is works fine.any clue as to what is causing this?
This happens whenever there is a problem with loading the heightmap, e.g. when the file cannot be found, or the dimensions are other than ..., 257*257, 513*513, 1025*1025, ... etc.
If you see the terrain properly in CaWE, it should also work in the Engine. Maybe you want to compare the path (which is a relative path) of your heightmap with that in the TechDemo, or just try to use the TechDemo heightmap temorarily in your map, just for testing.
Oh, I just realized you sorted it out, great! :-)
i see in the material cmats for the bushes/crates etc,there is reference to "noShadow" how can i turn on this shadow feature to static objects and player models?
Currently not at all, sorry (as a work-around, you can texture the model with a material that has the "noShadows" property, just duplicate the original material def for that purpose).
how can i set a viewdistance,and apply fog effect in my map?
Currently not possible, sorry.
is there a way to hackjob a cloud passing over effect,ie use some type of script and code used for the butterflies/eagle?
Yes, hacking it is possible, but currently requires custom C++ code. As mentioned above, this will become easier as soon as the Scripting support is complete.
@Carsten,is there going to be a "field of view/distance" pixel 3 shader effect for the future of ca3d?
Hmm... sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean... :?:
Best regards,
Carsten
Jojimbo

Post by Jojimbo » 2007-06-06, 15:19

field of depth is a post processing zoom effect to simulate the blurring of entities nearer if you look far and far if you look near.the world where the eye looks directly is crisp and all else "out of focus"
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-06-06, 17:24

Ok, well, yes, we can do somthing like that in the future, but currently there is a ton of more important things that have priority...
Best regards,
Carsten