CaWE compiling problem - Solution known

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Denny
CaWE compiling problem - Solution known

Post by Denny » 2007-08-14, 22:17

There's a bug when using CaWE. If you're on WinXP and has the Ca3DE folder on your desktop or anywhere below "Documents and Settings" it won't compile no matter how correct the paths are. Might have to do with spaces in folder path?

Only when I have the main folder directly on C:\ it works without any problems.

I just got into using Ca3DE today and I'm considering to make some models and textures and mess around in it. :)

----------------------------------

Here's a screen showing a pair of textures I made from royalty free photos. 8) (lit by a PointLight R20, G40, B50)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-08-15, 09:59

Hi Denny,

welcome to the Ca3DE Forums! :-)

I'll look into the problem, it's well possible that spaces must not appear in the path in the current version. Many thanks for posting a work-around!

Another work-around is to rely on the fact that the ...\Ca3DE_2007-xx-yy\Projects\Ca3D-Engine is the working directory for CaWE, thus you can also use relative paths everywhere in the "Game Configurations" tab in the Configure dialog. E.g. C:\Ca3DE_2007-06-16\Projects\Ca3D-Engine\CaPVS.exe becomes just CaPVS.exe, and C:\Ca3DE_2007-03-14\Projects\Ca3D-Engine\Games\DeathMatch becomes Games\DeathMatch

Using relative paths also makes it easier to use multiple CaWE installations in parallel, or to move the base directory Ca3DE_2007-xx-yy around, or upgrade to another version, so I'll also upgrade the documentation to the relative paths strategy soon. ;-)

Oh, btw., great textures and great screenshot! :wohow:
Best regards,
Carsten
Denny

Post by Denny » 2007-08-15, 12:32

I just followed the tutorials in the Wiki and there was no notice regarding the relative paths, I never thought of trying them out.

I thought it would be good by the way to try make my best efforts to add some quality content in a demo in this engine. To be honest I was quite fooled as what the engine was capable of when judging from the original content. :P
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-08-15, 15:58

Denny wrote:I just followed the tutorials in the Wiki and there was no notice regarding the relative paths, I never thought of trying them out.
Yes, sorry, this is really a bug in the documentation, I'll fix it soon. :book:
I thought it would be good by the way to try make my best efforts to add some quality content in a demo in this engine. To be honest I was quite fooled as what the engine was capable of when judging from the original content. :P
Uh..... are you referring to the TechDemo map?
If so, well, it indeed is not very well lit, but if there is more, please let us know! :cheesy:
Of course, I'd absolutely love to see anything you can do beyond that! Your screenshot above looks utterly great, and I'm looking forward to see more! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Denny

Post by Denny » 2007-08-15, 23:03

Carsten wrote:Uh..... are you referring to the TechDemo map?
If so, well, it indeed is not very well lit, but if there is more, please let us know! :cheesy:
Of course, I'd absolutely love to see anything you can do beyond that! Your screenshot above looks utterly great, and I'm looking forward to see more! :up:
To be honest I was more pointing towards the other low-res maps and stuff. The TechDemo map has some few goodies but as a whole it didn't make me go wow. I think much has to do with the current Trinity model. :?

I can't promise when I'll get some more stuff up but I'll do the best I can. Requests are always welcome. :wink:
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2007-08-16, 11:50

:arrow: Ok, I fixed the documentation about the relative paths setup, see step 6 at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/mapping:cawe:install :-)

Good news though is that future versions of CaWE will probably not need all these parameters manually set any more, as most of them can as well be auto-detected. One of the next releases is supposed to have new code in this regard, which will free the user from the first-time configuration entirely.
Denny wrote:To be honest I was more pointing towards the other low-res maps and stuff. The TechDemo map has some few goodies but as a whole it didn't make me go wow. I think much has to do with the current Trinity model. :?
Well, the other maps are indeed quite old and cannot compete with anything modern. Still, they serve as examples and historic material.

The TechDemo map is subject to ongoing enhancements whenever a new major Ca3DE feature is completed. For example, I'm going to present the capabilities of the new map scripting system soon, which will - when fully grown - achieve a great progress.
I can't promise when I'll get some more stuff up but I'll do the best I can. Requests are always welcome. :wink:
Looking forward to whatever you like best! :-)
Best regards,
Carsten