Now that the smoke has cleared....

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
slumpysix
Now that the smoke has cleared....

Post by slumpysix » 2008-03-13, 02:50

So since I posted in the other forum, I have gotten my system back up and running. So what do I have to do to get the program running? What things should I check for? My laptop runs pretty much anything I throw at it except for COD4 which didn't surprise me. So I'm sure I have all the updated drivers but will check them out again.
thanks!
Jeff
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Now that the smoke has cleared....

Post by Carsten » 2008-03-13, 22:26

Hi Jeff,
slumpysix wrote:So since I posted in the other forum, I have gotten my system back up and running.
Ah, it's great to hear that! :-)
So what do I have to do to get the program running?
Normally nothing. That is, the Ca3DE-8.03.zip file should be extracted to disk, then double-click the RunCa3DE.bat file, then click "OK" in the dialog. That's all.
You may also have a look at the documentation at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/ for more information.
What things should I check for? My laptop runs pretty much anything I throw at it except for COD4 which didn't surprise me. So I'm sure I have all the updated drivers but will check them out again.
Please forgive me, but I'm a bit confused about your description... does Ca3DE not run on your system, even though you followed the steps described above? If so, what exactly happens? Any error messages? Does your laptop meet the minimum system requirements listed in the documentation? Did you try one of the smaller maps (all but the TechDemo are much smaller)?

Generally, Ca3DE is known to run very reliably and stable. If there is still any problem with it, I'm always happy to learn and fix. :cheesy: Just let me know!
Best regards,
Carsten
slumpysix

Post by slumpysix » 2008-03-14, 01:52

This is what happened. I unzipped and double clicked the .bat file. It brought up a dos prompt and then your load screen with CA3D on it. Then it just didn't load anything after that. I was able to "alt-tab" and see that my zone alarm anti virus pop up alert came up, I had to give permission for your program to load. I did but then my laptop froze up., I couldn't get out and then I had to pull the battery to shut it down. The laptop fired back up and went and tried it again. Same thing happen but I did not receive the alert from zone alarm this time. Pc just froze up and that's when I rebooted all hell broke loose.
So I guess I just want to make sure I have all the requirements which it looks like I do. But when you say to go with a smaller map, I gues I'm lost now. I never got to a map or anything. I thought I was opening up a program to create and not a game/map so to speak.. I'm sure I'll get it to go... I just want to make an image of my hard drive after I re-install my stuff first so I have a start from point in case something happens again :)...
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2008-03-16, 11:20

Hi,
slumpysix wrote:[...] that my zone alarm anti virus pop up alert came up, I had to give permission for your program to load.
Ok, that's normal. Ca3DE opens a local network connection to itself, which sometimes triggers virus protection software. Allowing Ca3DE to continue should be sufficient to resolve the problem.
I did but then my laptop froze up., I couldn't get out and then I had to pull the battery to shut it down. The laptop fired back up and went and tried it again. Same thing happen but I did not receive the alert from zone alarm this time. Pc just froze up and that's when I rebooted all hell broke loose.
That's sounds like a driver issue: Normally you can always press ALT+TAB to get back to the desktop or CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to the task manager.
So I guess I just want to make sure I have all the requirements which it looks like I do. But when you say to go with a smaller map, I gues I'm lost now. I never got to a map or anything.
In the initial dialog (see http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/usermanu ... ons_dialog) there is a choice control labeled "World name" near the bottom. In the screenshot, it shows "RenoElixir", with your version, it should show "TechDemo". Set it to anything else here, e.g. "AEonsCanyonTower". This map is much smaller than the TechDemo, needs less RAM and loads faster. You should not have problems with the "AEonsCanyonTower".
If that one works, you should run "ReNoElixir" next, then try the "TechDemo" again.
I thought I was opening up a program to create and not a game/map so to speak..
If you want to edit maps or make new ones, you have to run click on RunCaWE.bat instead of RunCa3DE.bat. CaWE is the Ca3DE World Editor.
Ca3DE is the engine itself that runs readily compiled maps.
Best regards,
Carsten