Making the map a CW and playable world

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Daniel
Making the map a CW and playable world

Post by Daniel » 2008-05-23, 16:36

Hello,

I cannot make my maps that I create go into the worlds folder so when I do the compile to play, its not there. Please tell me how to make this happen every time.

Thanks,
Daniel
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Making the map a CW and playable world

Post by Carsten » 2008-05-25, 14:19

Dear Daniel,
Daniel wrote: I cannot make my maps that I create go into the worlds folder so when I do the compile to play, its not there. Please tell me how to make this happen every time.
Are you running the latest version of CaWE (currently 8.03) and are you running the compile as described at http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/mapping:compiling_new and/or Flash tutorial http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/mapping: ... urfirstmap ?

Please note that you save your maps in CaWE as .cmap files into the DeathMatch/Maps folder, where the compile tools pick them up and create a corresponding .cw file in the DeathMatch/Worlds folder.

If it still doesn't work, please post the CaWE console output here. The console window opens automatically whenever you compile a map, but you can also open it via the View -> Screen Elements -> Console menu. Maybe something went wrong with compiling the map, and the console window will give us a clue on the cause.
Best regards,
Carsten
Daniel

Post by Daniel » 2008-05-25, 17:17

Carsten,

I found out it was a leak in the map, I had 2 walls split so I could have an opening which was causing a problem. What do I do for a door so you can get out of one room to go to the next
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2008-05-25, 23:35

Hi!
Daniel wrote:I found out it was a leak in the map, I had 2 walls split so I could have an opening which was causing a problem.
Ok, great to hear you solved the problem! :-)
What do I do for a door so you can get out of one room to go to the next
You'll probably want to create a normal brush first (or a collection of brushes) in the shape of your door, then convert them to a func_door entity using the New Entity Tool. Then use the Entity Inspector in order to set the properties of the new door.
You can see examples for doors both in the TechDemo.cmap and the Kidney.cmap map files (the TechDemo also has one example for a door that is implemented with a func_mover entity that employs a map script for implementing the typical slide door behaviour).
Best regards,
Carsten
Daniel

Post by Daniel » 2008-05-25, 23:42

The problem with that is when I run tech demo or some of the other ones you personally made, they crash the program, would you know why this is?

Daniel
PS. Can you go in your IRC chat?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2008-05-26, 10:45

Daniel wrote:The problem with that is when I run tech demo or some of the other ones you personally made, they crash the program, would you know why this is?
Uh, no, it should work or quit with a proper error message, but not crash. Currently, there are no stability problems known to me, either. Thus, please let me know:
  • Which OS are you using, which version?
  • Which version of Ca3DE are you using?
  • What graphics board? Latest driver installed?
  • How much system RAM, how much video RAM?
  • Are there any error messages (maybe on the black console window)? If so, what do they say?
PS. Can you go in your IRC chat?
Yep, I'm there now, for at least 10 hours. :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten
Daniel

Post by Daniel » 2008-05-27, 00:07

* Which OS are you using, which version? Windows XP
* Which version of Ca3DE are you using? Latest (8.0.3 I think?)
* What graphics board? Latest driver installed? Intel(R) Extreme graphics 2
* How much system RAM, how much video RAM?752 MB of RAM
* Are there any error messages (maybe on the black console window)? If so, what do they say? No error messages

Your not in chat, maybe we can get a spacific time?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2008-05-27, 16:16

Daniel wrote: * What graphics board? Latest driver installed? Intel(R) Extreme graphics 2
* How much system RAM, how much video RAM?752 MB of RAM
Well, that's a bit below the minimum requirements (which is 1 GB of system RAM), but I think the real problem is that some of your RAM is also used for as video RAM, which yields less for the system and little for the graphics.

The Minimum Systen Requirements are unfortunately a bit outdated, for running the TechDemo Map you rather need 1 GB main RAM (1,5 GB on Windows Vista) and 256 MB video (GPU) RAM.

Nonetheless, the AEonsCanyonTower and ReNoElixir maps should still work on your system. You may also try to turn the "Texture Detail" to "low" in the initial Options dialog.
* Are there any error messages (maybe on the black console window)? If so, what do they say? No error messages
If it still doesn't work, can you run Ca3DE from the command-line, and post its output here please?
Ca3DE always outputs something, and if it doesn't work, the output always gives a clue on what went wrong.
Your not in chat, maybe we can get a spacific time?
Well, I was, the entire workday and several hours before and after. But I guess we are in different timezones, right? ;-) Where are you from?

I attend the #ca3de IRC channel during European daylight hours as much as I can (often 10 to 12 hours per day, sometimes more), but don't worry if we happen to miss each other again: We can either agree on a common time, or let's fix the problems here in the forum, which I'm sure will be successful.

Even better, when posted here in the forum, others who might be experiencing the same issues can look up the thread. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Daniel

Post by Daniel » 2008-05-28, 05:45

I am in Las Cruces, New Mexico, US

I agree, but I have other questions too, we have a LARGE plan for an amazingly large MMO and I would like to talk to you to see if its possible with your engine.

How do I clear up my RAM? I would really like to be able to run this stuff.

-Daniel
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2008-05-28, 10:41

Daniel wrote:I am in Las Cruces, New Mexico, US
Ah, ok, that explains it. ;-)
I agree, but I have other questions too, we have a LARGE plan for an amazingly large MMO and I would like to talk to you to see if its possible with your engine.
I'm happy to learn about your interest in the Ca3D-Engine, and I'm happy to answer all your questions. Today I will attend the channel again at least from 10 AM to 6 PM (sorry, I've some appointments out of office after that). But well, the IRC channel is only one means of communication, we still have the forum and email to our disposal (they solve the very problem that we currently experience - vastly different times to access the internet), so I'd suggest that you just post all your questions here (maybe in a new thread), or if there is confidentially involved, just write me an email.
How do I clear up my RAM? I would really like to be able to run this stuff.
Let me summarize the situation (as far as I understand it): You have a PC with on-board Intel Extreme 2 graphics, and a total of 752 of RAM. The graphics take probably 96 MB of that RAM for video purposes, so that you have 656 MB left for the system.

Moreover, the version of OpenGL that your video driver implements is unknown to me, therefore I'd like to repeat the question in my former posting: Can you please run Ca3DE from the command-line (e.g. with the ReNoElixir or AEonsCanyonTower map), and post the console output here? At least the AEonsCanyonTower map should work, and if it doesn't, the console output will indicate the problem. You may try to set the "Texture Details" settings to "medium" or "low", which will help with dealing with the limited video RAM.

For the TechDemo map, you will need at least 1 GB of system RAM and 256 MB of video RAM (for "Texture Details" at "high" at least). You can try it on your system anyway as described above ("Texture Details"), but if it doesn't work, we need the console output for diagnosis. With regards to the hardware, the best that you can do is get a newer computer with more RAM (1,5 GB if it comes with Windows Vista) and a dedicated, contemporary graphics board.
Best regards,
Carsten