4 Questions about CaWE

A forum about everything related to the Cafu World Editor CaWE: mapping, editing, scripting, making GUIs and fonts, using the BSP, PVS and Light compilers.
MatthiasG.
4 Questions about CaWE

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-11, 11:46

Hello everybody!

I have 4 Questions about Maps and Editing CAWE-Scripts:
1st: How can I make an enemy like company_bot shooting?
2nd: How can I make a dialog for winning the game, like "Congratulations"?
3rt: Is it possible to compile a game in a different external exe?
4th: Can I make my own weapons?

Thank you for replys, and sorry for my bad English, I'm German :lol:

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
MatthiasG.

Re: 4 Questions about CaWE

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-11, 11:48

Hello again!

And a 5th question: :D Can i make a button at a wall, and if you press Space before that button, or shoot at it, you can unlock a door?

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-11, 16:27

Hello!

And a 6th question :lol: : How can I make the player move boxes around?

Thank you!

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-01-11, 19:25

Dear Matthias,
welcome to the Ca3DE forums!! :welcome:
MatthiasG. wrote:1st: How can I make an enemy like company_bot shooting?
This currently requires changes to the EntCompanyBotT C++ code (file Games/Code/CompanyBot.cpp).
2nd: How can I make a dialog for winning the game, like "Congratulations"?
Via the GUI system. For example, you could modify the existing "Head-Up Display" GUI, add another window with the "Congratulations" text, and have this window initially hidden.
Another option is to have the "Congratulations" window in a GUI of its own, and activate it on demand.
Finally, another very simple option is to just do it like near the end of the TechDemo map: Just create a 3D world GUI with the desired text.
3rt: Is it possible to compile a game in a different external exe?
Sorry, I don't quite understand this question.
4th: Can I make my own weapons?
Certainly, see http://www.ca3d-engine.de/wiki/modellin ... mongmodels for some information.
Thank you for replys, and sorry for my bad English, I'm German :lol:
No problem, many here are, too. ;)
And a 5th question: :D Can i make a button at a wall, and if you press Space before that button, or shoot at it, you can unlock a door?
Yes, that is possible: The button would actually be a GUI, and activating the GUI would unlock the door.
And a 6th question :lol: : How can I make the player move boxes around?
This is possible when the box is an entity of class "Rigid Body", which does not yet exist in the 8.09 demo.

Matthias, I realize that the Ca3DE documentation is currently not very exhaustive with regards to your questions, but I like your questions a lot, because they are very important and good ones.

Of your questions, the fourth about the weapons is probably the most difficult, so if you don't mind, you shoud address this one last.

:arrow: Here is a suggestion: I'll release the new demo soon (during the upcoming week), whose new features are required for solving some of your questions, and I can make simple example solutions in one of the maps that answer your questions 2 ("Congrats!" screen), 5 ("Enter code to unlock this door") and 6 ("Player moves boxes around"), and maybe 1 (shooting company bot) as well.
Would that be a start?
Best regards,
Carsten
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-12, 16:11

Hello Carsten!

Thank you for your answer!

My 3rt question was, is it possible to compile the map with all things in there in an external exe-File, so that you can make your own start-screen with other languages. (I would do it with AutoIt, that's my favourite language :wink: )

Thank you,for your sugeestion. Yeah, that would be a great start :D .

And if I could help at anything just say it. I have a bit experience with Microsoft's Visual C#, and I'm starting also with C++ :)

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-12, 17:52

Hello again!

Is there a flash tutorial for Creating GUIs? I think the help is very difficult :)

If you want, I can make tutorials about the tools in CaWE, like the Brush Tool or something like that. The Speech could be from Microsoft's Anna :D

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-01-12, 19:59

Hi Matthias!

Ok, I'll provide samples that answer the questions, and release the new demo asap - probably during this week.

You cannot (easily) create an .exe that replaces Ca3DE.exe with all the files and directories inside it, but:
  • You can place arbitrary files into .zip archives in order to ship them; Ca3DE can read files directly from those .zip archives. The SkyDomes.zip and TechDemo.zip in Games/DeathMatch/Textures are examples of this. Such archives can optionally be encrypted.
  • Of course you can also change the Main Menu (the start screen) - it's just a GUI like every other GUI! The upcoming release will come with a comfortable GUI Editor that makes this task very easy - see the related news announcement.
I've also just checked the GuiSys documentation - you're right, it's partially outdated, especially about the cgui File Format and Making New Fonts. (The new Gui Editor and Font Wizard is entirely undocumented so far.)
I'll be happy to change and update this as soon as the new release is out, and if you would like to help with documenting e.g. the Gui Editor and Font Wizard, it would much be appreciated!! :wohow:

As a general rule, remember to never be discouraged by missing, incomplete, outdated or complicated documentation! Keep asking here until everything is properly explained and understood! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-12, 20:17

Hello!

Thank you!
Then I'll make some tutorials :D Maybe this could help.

If I'll have a question, I will ask it :D

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-13, 17:57

Hello!

I've made a tutorial about the Camera-Tool. It's only a test! If you don't like it, just say it :D
I've made it like your flash tutorials.

But where can I load it up?

Its 6MB big (in a 7z-Archive)...

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-01-13, 19:58

MatthiasG. wrote:I've made a tutorial about the Camera-Tool. It's only a test! If you don't like it, just say it :D
I've made it like your flash tutorials.

But where can I load it up?
Wow, it's great to hear this!

If in doubt, just send it to my email address, I'll upload it to the webspace then.
Best regards,
Carsten
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-13, 21:27

Hello!

I've sent it to info@ca3d.engine.de.

There's a tutorial about the Selection-Tool, too.

Greetz,

MatthiasG.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-01-15, 11:31

MatthiasG. wrote: And a 6th question :lol: : How can I make the player move boxes around?
Started with this yesterday, and pretty successfully: http://www.ca3d-engine.de/forum/viewtop ... 3147#p3147 (rev. 831).
Best regards,
Carsten
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-15, 16:59

Thank you very much!

I will test it :D
Greetings from germany,

MatthiasG.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2009-01-15, 19:21

Well, work is not yet finished, but continues.

Here is a thread with some technical details, about correctly applying impulse (direction, amount and position) when e.g. a crate is hit by a bullet or explosion:
http://www.bulletphysics.com/Bullet/php ... f=9&t=3079

I've just implemented this: When you now shoot at a crate at a corner, it moves differently as when being shot at the center or another corner - just physically correct and just as one would expect. :wohow:
Best regards,
Carsten
MatthiasG.

Post by MatthiasG. » 2009-01-15, 19:28

WOW :shock: That's great!!!

I'm waiting for the next version :D
Greetings from germany,

MatthiasG.