nmake not found while running scons -q

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Gemberkoekje
nmake not found while running scons -q

Post by Gemberkoekje » 2010-03-06, 03:41

Hello all,

For the better part of the past hour I've been trying to spark some life into this engine of yours, but unfortunately, I've been unsuccesful.

As it's part of my school, I'm by now quite well schooled in Visual Studio 2008 combined with c++, but I have little understanding on python or scons. However, for the record, I do know how to read, google and search ;)

Anyway, I've copied the py.tmpl file, made sure it said vs9, installed both python and scons, made sure the PATH was correct, then ran scons.

It found the files, tried to do nmake, but my command window gave a "Cannot find this file/program" on nmake, after which, obviously, scons crashed as well.

I went on finding this nmake, which I found snugly in my vs2008/c/bin map. To try to make sure it could find it, I added a PATH to said bin map. Now, barebonely in my command line, both scons and nmake gave a result.

However, when running scons again, it gave the same "Cannot find program" error.

I'm quite aware this isn't exactly an 'engine' problem, but I do still hope someone can help me fix it nevertheless, because your presentation considering this site is one of the better I came across while searching for a game engine to use, which is why I'm desperate to go the extra mile and at least get it to run ;)

As a kind and well-ment suggestion, wouldn't it be helpful to add VS2008 solution/project files, so as to make it easier for VS2008 users to build and run it? *Disclaimer: Please don't kill me for not being a particular command line fan XD*

Thanks ;)
Gemberkoekje

Re: nmake not found while running scons -q

Post by Gemberkoekje » 2010-03-06, 04:01

Extra info:
Which version of VC++ do you use?

Visual Studio 2008 Professional
Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
(.NET Framework version 3.5 SP1)

Which OS?

Windows 7 Home Premium
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-03-06, 12:18

Hi Gemberkoekje,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Gemberkoekje wrote:Anyway, I've copied the py.tmpl file, made sure it said vs9,
Just to be sure: defaultCompilerWin32 must be vc9 (not vs9) in CompilerSetup.py.
It found the files, tried to do nmake, but my command window gave a "Cannot find this file/program" on nmake, after which, obviously, scons crashed as well.
Please try the following:
Before you run scons at the command line, set SCONS_MSCOMMON_DEBUG to - (hyphen, Minuszeichen), that is, enter

Code: Select all

set SCONS_MSCOMMON_DEBUG=-
before you run scons. It will output what it is doing at startup (if you replace the "-" by an arbitrary file name, the output will be written into the file instead). Then please post that output here, including the file-not-found on nmake.
I went on finding this nmake, which I found snugly in my vs2008/c/bin map. To try to make sure it could find it, I added a PATH to said bin map. Now, barebonely in my command line, both scons and nmake gave a result.

However, when running scons again, it gave the same "Cannot find program" error.
Yes, that's correct, because SCons doesn't use the command-line environment.
I'm quite aware this isn't exactly an 'engine' problem, but I do still hope someone can help me fix it nevertheless, because your presentation considering this site is one of the better I came across while searching for a game engine to use, which is why I'm desperate to go the extra mile and at least get it to run ;)
Thanks! Please be patient, we will get this sorted out! :up:
As a kind and well-ment suggestion, wouldn't it be helpful to add VS2008 solution/project files, so as to make it easier for VS2008 users to build and run it? *Disclaimer: Please don't kill me for not being a particular command line fan XD*
Yes, thanks, many are asking for it, and I got the message. I'm already working on providing solution/project files soon.

But I'd be happy if you stayed with me on this, figuring out why SCons doesn't work (it normally does).

If all else fails, there is another simple and very reliable way to make SCons work, please have a look at http://www.cafu.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3540#p3540.
Best regards,
Carsten
Gemberkoekje

Post by Gemberkoekje » 2010-03-06, 13:31

Carsten wrote:Hi Gemberkoekje,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Thank you :mrgreen:
Carsten wrote: Please try the following:
Before you run scons at the command line, set SCONS_MSCOMMON_DEBUG to - (hyphen, Minuszeichen), that is, enter

set SCONS_MSCOMMON_DEBUG=-
before you run scons. It will output what it is doing at startup (if you replace the "-" by an arbitrary file name, the output will be written into the file instead). Then please post that output here, including the file-not-found on nmake.

J:\SVNAccessNew\Projects\Self\Cafu-src-r39\Cafu-src-r39>set SCONS_MSCOMMON_DEBUG
=-

J:\SVNAccessNew\Projects\Self\Cafu-src-r39\Cafu-src-r39>scons -q
scons: Reading SConscript files ...

os.chdir('ExtLibs/wxWidgets/build/msw')
nmake /nologo /f makefile.vc BUILD=debug SHARED=0 USE_OPENGL=1 RUNTIME_LIBS=stat
ic COMPILER_PREFIX=vc9
nmake wordt niet herkend als een interne
of externe opdracht, programma of batchbestand.
os.chdir('J:\\SVNAccessNew\\Projects\\Self\\Cafu-src-r39\\Cafu-src-r39')
scons: *** Error 1
(Excuse the dutch by the way, it's the dutch version of the "I don't understand what nmake means" error)
Yes, thanks, many are asking for it, and I got the message. I'm already working on providing solution/project files soon.
That would be quite awesome... I've got quite a bit of experience on visual studio myself, so if you're stuck anywhere on that level, please don't hesitate to ask me - Can't promise I'll have the solution, but maybe we could help each other :)
But I'd be happy if you stayed with me on this, figuring out why SCons doesn't work (it normally does).

If all else fails, there is another simple and very reliable way to make SCons work, please have a look at http://www.cafu.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3540#p3540.
I'll have a look at that topic, next.

Update: Tried the solution in the other topic, but still no change to the error - I've actually doublechecked if i weren't actually editing the wrong files, but they did seem to be the right ones.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-03-07, 04:08

Hi Gemberkoekje,

with SCONS_MSCOMMON_DEBUG set, scons should have produced more debug output, from which I conclude that you use older version 1.2.0.
Could you please try the more recent 1.2.0.d20100117 instead? This should fix the problem (work as intended/documented), requiring none of the above hacks.
If it doesn't, please post the output of the newer version (run scons -v to check) with SCONS_MSCOMMON_DEBUG=- as well.

Thanks for your offer regarding the solution files, I might get back to you when I start making some (I really use the Visual Studio IDE rarely, so I might need some help). ;-)
Best regards,
Carsten
Gemberkoekje

Post by Gemberkoekje » 2010-03-07, 12:41

Carsten wrote:Could you please try the more recent 1.2.0.d20100117 instead? This should fix the problem (work as intended/documented), requiring none of the above hacks.
Aha~! That fixed - well, at least it's doing something now, let's see how far he gets :P

I normally pick stable versions above beta ones, so that's why.

Anyway, thanks, let's see what this puppy can do.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-03-08, 00:31

Gemberkoekje wrote: Aha~! That fixed - well, at least it's doing something now, let's see how far he gets :P
Good to know - I've also updated the related documentation accordingly. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten