CaWE "Tie to entity"

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
Carsten
Site Admin
CaWE "Tie to entity"

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-22, 13:00

BRabbit wrote:-My modified CaWE still crashes when using the option Tie to Entity, (using both r76 and r174 Ca3DE worked OK) although I upgraded the whole source tree to the latest version (r76 -> r174) it doesn't work. Note: I'm not the user bigjj13 which had the same issue and by the way s/he couldn't get it to work too.
The Call Stack shows a continuous loop between the functions (in this order): MapEntityT::GetBB() -> MapHelperBoundingBox::GetBB() -> MapEntityT::GetOrigin() -> the same for a lot of times -> and then BoundingBox3T<float>::BoundingBox3T<float>() -> BoundingBox3T<float>::IsInited() -> BoundingBox3T<float>::IsValid()
Sorry, I still don't quite get it:
Does CaWE in unmodified r174 work for you and only your modified/customized version crashes, or does r174 as-is crash as well?

If r174 is affected as well, can you please let me know how I can reproduce this, and possibly attach a complete stack trace (ideally, with line numbers, parameters, etc.; copy to clipboard then paste here, or take a screenshot).

If r174 is ok and your customized isn't, well, what modifications did you make?
Did you get all changes of r174 in sync with your copy (especially regarding the classes mentioned in your stack trace above)? I did some changes regarding entity helpers in the past, that supposedly fixed such problems.

(I'm aware of the issue that BigJJ reported, but I think that has been fixed already in r99, at least after r99 I cannot reproduce it anymore here.)
Best regards,
Carsten
BRabbit

Re: CaWE "Tie to entity"

Post by BRabbit » 2010-11-22, 17:13

Both r76 and r174 unmodified versions of CaWE work right out of the box. And both modified (essentially there aren't many changes, just this ones are compiled with a visual studio solution) r76 and r174 don't work. (I'm talking about the option tie to entity, which is rare because everything else works right).

When upgrading to r174, i didn't replaced the source code files with the latest ones, but I used Beyond Compare -a very good program by the way- to keep my changes while adding the bugfixes and stuff.

Anyway, i don't think this is a big problem, i mean, i can just open my map with Notepad, and tie brushes to entities by myself (changing the class of the brush from 'worldspawn' to [entity class]).
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: CaWE "Tie to entity"

Post by Carsten » 2010-11-22, 23:41

BRabbit wrote:When upgrading to r174, i didn't replaced the source code files with the latest ones, but I used Beyond Compare -a very good program by the way- to keep my changes while adding the bugfixes and stuff.
Yes, I like Beyond Compare as well - if you're not cloning the Cafu repository with Mercurial or git, this is probably the next best.
Anyway, i don't think this is a big problem, i mean, i can just open my map with Notepad, and tie brushes to entities by myself (changing the class of the brush from 'worldspawn' to [entity class]).
Well, without being able to see your code, the best you can do is using the debugger to figure out where the problem is rooted.

Btw., I seem to remember (but cannot find the post) that you were asking about the new mouse controls that were introduced with r174.
Well, I agree that it takes a little while to get used to, but have you had a look at http://www.cafu.de/wiki/mapping:cawe:views? Once you're used to them, they're great! :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten