This Engine good for Zelda?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Saniro
This Engine good for Zelda?

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-23, 05:09

Hey, I was planning on making a zelda game, and eventually a Zelda MMOAG, The terrain editor looks nice, graphics are good, is it a good software for Zelda?
Scorphame

Re: This Engine good for Zelda?

Post by Scorphame » 2011-01-23, 07:09

Hi.

Well I don't know much about zelda game. But i can say that this engine is oriented to FPS... but that doesn't mean that you can't make something like RPG games... In fact I can see that this engine is really programmable for your requirements.

I guess yea, the engine provides a good render with a good external ambients, I guess that is possible to make Zelda game (a good Zelda game), but prepare for to make a lot of coding, scripting and well levels :)

Bye
Simón Carreño AKA Scorphame.
Leader & Game Designer at HeXentic Games
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-23, 12:40

Hi Saniro,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Saniro wrote:Hey, I was planning on making a zelda game, and eventually a Zelda MMOAG, The terrain editor looks nice, graphics are good, is it a good software for Zelda?
Please have a look at "Is Cafu right for our game of genre ...?", then please post additional questions here. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-23, 16:25

Ok.
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-23, 16:28

I think it would be fine cause I'm talking about an mmoAG not mmoRPG, MMOAG is Action/adventure, MMORPG is Turn Based.
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-23, 16:31

Also, I would like to know where to start, when I click on either exe I get an Already made game, where do I start?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-23, 20:20

Saniro wrote:Also, I would like to know where to start, when I click on either exe I get an Already made game, where do I start?
A good starting point is the documentation:
http://www.cafu.de/wiki/
Best regards,
Carsten
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-23, 22:31

Ok, kinda posted that a bit too soon. These forums, along with the minecraft forums, one in a million, People are actually helpful.
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-24, 02:40

Hey can I get a link for an OpenGL download? (+carsten, might wanna edit requirements, I run Cafu just fine with 512 MB of RAM)
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2011-01-24, 06:18

Saniro wrote:Hey can I get a link for an OpenGL download? (+carsten, might wanna edit requirements, I run Cafu just fine with 512 MB of RAM)
OpenGL Download? Opengl can't be downloaded, in fact, Opengl is only a Graphics library for to make video games(Open Graphic Library)

512MB on ram but in what Os and with how many Video and what CPU?
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-24, 07:03

Im not quite sure how much video memory (not alot though, less than 512 video mb, i think) 2.8 ghz cpu and Im running it on XP.
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-24, 07:10

But cant you download/install the drivers? I have an error when attempting to run the application files. The command prompt gives an error but only stays up for half a second. :? I dont think it has to do wiht specs, cafu engine and the world editor run just fine. Does it have to do with my specs?

Also, it would be nice to know How to create the models?
Scorphame

Post by Scorphame » 2011-01-24, 19:20

Saniro wrote:But cant you download/install the drivers? I have an error when attempting to run the application files. The command prompt gives an error but only stays up for half a second. :? I dont think it has to do wiht specs, cafu engine and the world editor run just fine. Does it have to do with my specs?

Also, it would be nice to know How to create the models?
Did you use the source code... if you used it you must copy the .exe to the main folder of cafu.

for example

Code: Select all

C:\Cafu\build\vc10\x86\release\CaWE\CaWe.exe
must to be copied to the next folder

Code: Select all

C:\Cafu
Because the libraries are in the main folder... I had the same problem the first time that was the solution.

BTW: copy all the exe files (Map Compilers and CaWE with Cafu.exe)

About the models I don't know how to use the cawe for the model creation, I guess that you can use the program for to make doom 3 models or Half life models
Saniro

Post by Saniro » 2011-01-24, 23:44

OK ill try that and see if it worked.

Edit: Ok so I forgot to download svn, on it now hope itlll work. :|

Edit#2: Aghh takes forever for the files to extract :frown:

WTF I Used the source code. ANd it finished extracing. for some reason I can't locate the file that took tons of time to finish exracting. :evil:

Edit#3: Ok it wasnt in the area you said it would be its in documents and settings.

Edit#4: Different files though :? Confused, and im still having problems.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2011-01-25, 00:59

Saniro wrote:Hey can I get a link for an OpenGL download? (+carsten, might wanna edit requirements, I run Cafu just fine with 512 MB of RAM)
It's nice to hear that it works with 512 MB RAM as well, but you'll probably have difficulties to open the large TechDemo map. ;-)

If you can run Cafu, you also have OpenGL installed already - under Windows, the OpenGL implementations come with the graphics drivers, so you're likely set and done regarding OpenGL. :-)
OpenGL developer files (headers and link libraries) ship with the platform SDK, which is usually installed with the (Visual Studio) compilers.
Best regards,
Carsten