Some Questions.

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
flametail
Some Questions.

Post by flametail » 2011-04-27, 02:05

Hi, I was thinking of making an MMORPG, but I wanted to clarify some things before I work too hard with the CAFU engine.

First off, can CAFU handle a persistant world, possibly with a MySQL backend?

And I see it is used primarily for FPSs, so is i even possible to use it for RPGs, with player stats, inventory, and such.

And also, does it support teraforming, such as lowering/raising the terrain with a shovel?

If all the above is possible, is there someone here willing to help with my project? I can do Lua very well, though I am used to a different flavor, but the C languages and I do not get along well.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Some Questions.

Post by Carsten » 2011-04-27, 14:56

Hi flametail,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
flametail wrote:Hi, I was thinking of making an MMORPG, but I wanted to clarify some things before I work too hard with the CAFU engine.

First off, can CAFU handle a persistant world, possibly with a MySQL backend?

And I see it is used primarily for FPSs, so is i even possible to use it for RPGs, with player stats, inventory, and such.
These features are not built into Cafu at this time, but it would certainly be possible to add them.
And also, does it support teraforming, such as lowering/raising the terrain with a shovel?
In the map editor, yes, in the game (while the game is running), no. But as said before, it is certainly possible to add such functionality if required for a specific game.

You may also want to have a look at this FAQ.
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten