Greetings and questions :)

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
ubai
Greetings and questions :)

Post by ubai » 2011-06-21, 00:05

Hello,

I am shopping around for a good game engine and I was down to JMonkey and Unity when I found Cafu. It looks very promising! I just have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me:

* Mac support: is there a rough estimate of when Macs will be supported? I really want to make my game accessible to Mac, Windows, and Linux users.

* vehicles: I saw a couple forum posts on this, any chance that vehicle support will be added?

* large terrains: how large can the terrains be? I couldn't find the maximum heightmap size.

* vegetation: I see you have your own vegetation system, is that going to be added anytime soon?

I think that is it for now, I am looking forward to testing this out!

Thanks,
Matt
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Greetings and questions :)

Post by Carsten » 2011-06-21, 10:12

Hi Matt,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
* Mac support: is there a rough estimate of when Macs will be supported?
It's planned for the end of this year.
Good news though is that once your game works on Windows and Linux, the hardest part is done. That is, there will be no or only little extra effort for you once we finish the Mac port.
* vehicles: I saw a couple forum posts on this, any chance that vehicle support will be added?
This is relatively difficult, because it very much depends on the details that you would like to see with vehicle support. We have the basics, such as model importers, scripting and physics, but currently the plan is to provide a vehicle example only when all of the other points have successfully been addressed.
* large terrains: how large can the terrains be? I couldn't find the maximum heightmap size.
The maximum heightmap width and height is 2^15+1 == 32769 elements.
The CaWE map editor can handle maps up to 2^17 == 131072 units side length, i.e. roughly 131072 inches or 3300 meters.
* vegetation: I see you have your own vegetation system, is that going to be added anytime soon?
It's partially working already, but it certainly needs more polishing.

Generally, we're currently working on finishing the Model Editor, whose release is expected real soon now. Once that is finished, I'll thoroughly look into the features that you mentioned.

Also, it would speed things considerably up if you helped with the implementation. I'd be happy to answer any question that you have, and gladly apply your patches, and you'd have a lot of control over the order and when things are done. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten