GUI: Materials for buttons

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
Haimi
GUI: Materials for buttons

Post by Haimi » 2012-01-17, 21:15

Hi @all,
I watched all the Demos and pictures and I noticed that every GUI element is in this blue-tone.
I also read that there is a possibility to assign materials to the GUI elements, but can I make buttons with rounded-corners or such things? Or is this only possible using materials with alpha channels?
Project Status: Code architecture definition
6 Programmers, 1 Photographer, 1 Architect, 1 Game designer
HWGuy

Re: GUI: Materials for buttons

Post by HWGuy » 2012-01-17, 22:27

I've tried a customized GUI with alpha materials and it worked just fine, don't know if non-square/rectangular buttons are possible.
Haimi

Post by Haimi » 2012-01-17, 22:41

Thanks alot, so if this works it shuld be used somewhere in the demos... maybe even in the Techdemo... Should I create a Ticket? :D
Project Status: Code architecture definition
6 Programmers, 1 Photographer, 1 Architect, 1 Game designer
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2012-01-17, 22:45

Haimi wrote:Thanks alot, so if this works it shuld be used somewhere in the demos... maybe even in the Techdemo... Should I create a Ticket? :D
Well at some point the whole demo needs to be overhauled, when the new graphics system is in place, a redone GUI would go alongside that.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-01-18, 16:18

Haimi wrote:Thanks alot, so if this works it shuld be used somewhere in the demos... maybe even in the Techdemo... Should I create a Ticket? :D
Well, I'm not sure if this merits a ticket (the existing boxes are not broken after all) -- although I can imagine that this would certainly be an improvement over the current very simple square boxes.

I'd be happy to see this (e.g. initially in a small test/try-out) if you're interested in implementing it, and if the results are good, I'd be happy to apply to the project repository as well.
Best regards,
Carsten
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2012-01-18, 20:06

Carsten wrote:
Well, I'm not sure if this merits a ticket (the existing boxes are not broken after all) -- although I can imagine that this would certainly be an improvement over the current very simple square boxes.
I'd be happy to see this (e.g. initially in a small test/try-out) if you're interested in implementing it, and if the results are good, I'd be happy to apply to the project repository as well.
Perhaps in a future upgrade the GUI so the elements are vertex based(quad/triangle) rather than square so you can make any sort of shaped elements and buttons, would be a rather quick thing to throw in at some point, a low priority.