in which language should i programm my own game?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
robby
in which language should i programm my own game?

Post by robby » 2004-12-04, 19:02

Hi carsten,

1st thanks for your great 3d-Engine.
Im downloading it right now and the screenshots look amazing.

But in which language should i programm my own game?

Can i use java in connection with your c++ dlls?

I know that i can import c++ dlls in java, but is this also possible with your engine?

Or do i have to programm in c++ as youd did?

thanks for now ...
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-12-09, 06:08

i belive that java should work... but y? cpp would work better because of speed advantages IMHO.
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
robby

Post by robby » 2004-12-09, 16:49

yes but what if im better in java than in cpp?

Can i get sth. like an api of the engine?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-12-10, 18:51

Hello robby,
welcome to the Ca3DE forums! :)

Well, unfortunately there are no Java bindings to the Ca3DE DLLs.

Please check out the Ca3DE-MDK from the Ca3DE download site - it contains the NewMaterials.pdf documentation file, that also explains why you even have to use a specific compiler to work with Ca3DE.
The source code that is contained with the MDK also contains the API headers to and from the Ca3D-Engine.
Best regards,
Carsten
3DProgrammer

Re: in which language should i programm my own game?

Post by 3DProgrammer » 2004-12-12, 09:12

robby wrote: Can i use java in connection with your c++ dlls?
Ummm, don't you mean your c++ dlls? Youre supposed to create the DLL, and Carsten's engine uses it.

Unless Java can make DLL's, i dont think you can use it.

Carsten, how come other C++ compilers dont work with the engine? You said the classes, pointers, are different, but not really. Most C++ compilers use a common binary format for classes (that's why you can use MFC in Borland C++), and even Delphi (Pascal) can use C++ classes.
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-12-12, 17:08

i know from exp. that some compilers do not work period or need a good deal of tinkering to get them to work. but so far i have only found one that didnt work and that was a very shoddy compiler
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: in which language should i programm my own game?

Post by Carsten » 2004-12-13, 11:02

3DProgrammer wrote:Carsten, how come other C++ compilers dont work with the engine? You said the classes, pointers, are different, but not really. Most C++ compilers use a common binary format for classes (that's why you can use MFC in Borland C++), and even Delphi (Pascal) can use C++ classes.
When C++ classes are reduced to C structs, and the component alignment is the same, there would indeed be no problems. This is how DLLs can be used universally after all.
Complete C++ classes however contain additional "hidden" information, most prominently things like the virtual function table. This additional information is not standadized, and thus every compiler vendor is free to implement it as he sees fit. Also the fact that each exe/dll module keeps its own heap further complicates things. Modules that have C++ objects (vs. C structs) cross the "exe/dll boundary" are required to be compatible even on the vtable level, thus requiring compatible compilers.
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-12-14, 00:52

just curious does ne1 have experience with C#? i was wondering if it has any advantages to cpp as far as game and graphics stuff
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
3DProgrammer

Post by 3DProgrammer » 2004-12-14, 05:39

Shadow wrote:just curious does ne1 have experience with C#? i was wondering if it has any advantages to cpp as far as game and graphics stuff
i dont, but that wont stop me from commenting 8) The C# language itself isn't much better than C++ i don think, infact it could be a lot worse, anyway C++ isn't lacking many things so why switch languages?

But on the other hand, VC#.Net, comes with the large .Net library, and GUI building tools... but then so does VC++.Net.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-12-14, 14:31

Shadow wrote:just curious does ne1 have experience with C#?
I don't, but I'm somewhat familiar with its concepts.
I don't switch to it because C++ is the universal standard, C# is just another Microsoft'ism.
i was wondering if it has any advantages to cpp as far as game and graphics stuff
Nope.
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-12-15, 05:30

thanks
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!