Server on Raspberry Pi

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
feamorx86
Server on Raspberry Pi

Post by feamorx86 » 2012-08-12, 08:35

First of all sorry for Google translate :)
I'm working on a project in the third person shooter. The project is planned as a small, TPS MMO. The game will take place on the maps of average size. The maximum online players on a map : 20, and near 100 monsters in one time. Game server (a console application for Linux / FreeBSD) will be placed on dedicated or virtual servers. As a game engine is considered Cafu.

There is a crazy idea: For servers using minicomputers "Raspberri PI" (700 mHz APM cpu SoC, 256 ram, SD-card, Ethernet, with Android / ARM Ubuntu / ARM Debian OS)!
Hence the question: Is it possible to compile the engine under the ARM processors? It is natural that possible, but how much need to work to do this?

about Raspberry PI
https://www.google.ru/search?q=raspberry%20pi
HWGuy

Re: Server on Raspberry Pi

Post by HWGuy » 2012-08-12, 10:15

I doubt it'd have the power to have low latency PvP combat unless you had really low power optimized AI and not much else happening.

Cafu should be portable to ARM, a lot of libs work on ARM and you could have a null video/audio and run it CLI only since it's just to act as a server.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-08-12, 11:31

Hi feamorx86,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

I think that a port to ARM should in principle be possible, but I'm also sure that there will be a number of details that a port had to deal with, such as endianness, floating-point issues, libraries, just to name a few.

Regarding performance, I'd fully expect the Raspberry PI to be fast enough to run a dedicated server.

That is, while I don't expect creating a port to be particularly difficult, it probably requires some patience. How much exactly, I unfortunately cannot tell, as I've no ARM hardware available and at the moment not enough spare time to attempt a port myself.
As always, if you want to give it a try, I'd be happy to assist wherever I can. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
feamorx86

Post by feamorx86 » 2012-08-12, 13:09

Thank you for your reply! And the support =)