Frequency of Updates in the Downloads Page

This forum is about this website itself: the content pages, the forums, and the wiki.
sphyrth
Frequency of Updates in the Downloads Page

Post by sphyrth » 2012-10-03, 14:25

Just out of curiosity since I'm more dependent on the version supplied by the compressed archives, may I know how how often it's updated?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Frequency of Updates in the Downloads Page

Post by Carsten » 2012-10-03, 23:10

Hi sphyrth,
sphyrth wrote:Just out of curiosity since I'm more dependent on the version supplied by the compressed archives, may I know how how often it's updated?
At this time, we still use Subversion as our main version control system, use little branching, and development is done in a single branch in a simple, linear manner. While doing that, I try my best to keep Cafu (the head revision) stable at all times, and it works very well most of the time.

The downside of this approach is that larger features that cannot be implemented in a single commit have a tendency to cause brief periods of (not unstable, but) "half-done" things, and that from the (missing) branching structure it is not easy to see which feature is in which state of completion.

This is one of the reasons why I would like to migrate from Subversion to Mercurial or Git at some time in the future. There is no fixed date set for the change, but I'm already spending a lot of work and testing in this regard as outlined at http://www.cafu.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5311#p5311.

In the past and until then, I simply try to make sensible decisions about uploading new archives: I usually upload them when a minimum of new (purely technical or user-visible) features has been completed, and the current head revision is not in the mid of some feature development.

If you want to, I can upload some new archives right now.

However, using Subversion directly is most certainly the better choice!
Is there a reason for why you cannot use it?

Getting the latest source code with Subversion is just a matter of entering a single line at the command line, and with TortoiseSVN it's even simpler. Less work for you, less work for me. I'd be happy to provide some help with it (even happier than creating new archives ;-) ).
Best regards,
Carsten
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth » 2012-10-04, 05:12

Oh no, no need to upload the entire archive. I was just wondering if you do it once a month/week or something.

Although I can download every small changes (Twitter being my main access), I'm more used to downloading what's in the archive.

Anyways, it's not much of an issue. It's a curiosity thing. And I like the github idea.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-10-07, 23:21

Ok, good to hear this.
However, as I know not much about Twitter, let me re-emphasize that by far the best way to get the most recent source code is to install a Subversion client.
:up:
Best regards,
Carsten