Irrlicht with Cafu?

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
MonoAlithica
Irrlicht with Cafu?

Post by MonoAlithica » 2012-11-04, 00:00

Hi,

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but from my searching I assume not. I was wondering if that Irrlicht lighting engine could be used within Cafu? It looks nice and seeing as the engines modular, could Irrlicht take the place of CaLight? or be used within it? or used with it?

Thanks
HWGuy

Re: Irrlicht with Cafu?

Post by HWGuy » 2012-11-04, 09:11

Well, ripping out Cafu's renderer and replacing it with Irrlicht is possible, but it'd be a lot of work, at least after going through all that you'd have a full blown engine with mapper with a modern renderer.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-11-04, 13:02

Hi MonoAlithica,
MonoAlithica wrote:I don't know if this has been asked yet, but from my searching I assume not. I was wondering if that Irrlicht lighting engine could be used within Cafu? It looks nice and seeing as the engines modular, could Irrlicht take the place of CaLight? or be used within it? or used with it?
Well, with enough work, anything is possible.

But I wonder what exactly you would like to accomplish?
Best regards,
Carsten
MonoAlithica

Post by MonoAlithica » 2012-11-04, 15:29

If I'm honest, I'm not entirely sure yet. It just seemed like an interesting idea and a possibility for a little project in the future. I'm not complaining about Cafu's built-in renderer at all, I just thought it would be interesting to see how Irrlicht would work with the rest of Cafu.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-11-05, 11:52

Well, while I have the highest respect for Irrlicht, Ogre3D, and similar libraries, it seems to me that time and efforts are better spent with improving the Cafu renderers, as this (from my point of view) solves more concrete problems with less work, and helps more of our users in the long term. ;-)
Best regards,
Carsten