BEGIN OF FORUM TEST PHASE [ EDIT: ENDED!! ]

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2005-01-11, 03:01

yes i dont think many people go lower except older people and older comps. on the other hand alot of games i have right now only go up to 800x600. as for the url http://www.ca3d-engine.de/phpBB2/. i believe it is the picture. the whole page loads and is fine and then the pic comes in and stretches out the middle column and makes it too wide. and if we are going with a darker background the smiles need to be updated again as there is a white halo around them that is quite annoying

thanks
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2005-01-11, 03:03

ps i was using firefox as well
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2005-01-11, 22:51

The forum test phase is over now, and I have decided to revert the database and forum system.

Good news first:
  • No posts were lost. :idea: I was able to revert without having to restore the previously created DB backup.
  • I'm highly motivated to re-install some of the features that many of us have fallen in love with during the test phase. I'm especially thinking about the fisubsilversh theme, the quick reply mod, and a few others.
You'll also probably want to know why I reverted at all.
The phpBB2 "Plus" version (which the test was about) is the effort of an individual. It is basically the same as the regular phpBB board, with a selection of MODs installed (dozens!).
  • Incompatible with the regular line of phpBB development. (This is why I was so afraid about loosing the DB at some point.)
  • NO (!) documentation! :evil: I spent hours and days during the last week in the support forums, trying the get some things sorted out, with no success. It's very frustrating to spend hours just to NOT figure out what "Display Links site banner" in the Admin Panel eventually means.
  • NO way to disable most features. There was plenty of stuff that I simply didn't want or need.
  • Most importantly: It did not meet my needs. I was looking for a way to manage the existing Ca3DE website pages as forum posts (similar to the News posts during the test). A problem describtion (in German language) is available here: http://www.phpbb2.de/ftopic22876.html
    The "Plus" versions portal.php looked promising at first, but then I realized that it cannot meet the desired concept - it was never made to.
I've spent hours alone considering and weighting if I should revert after all. (No joke: Several hours are nothing when you try to find help for a highly scattered software from a highly scattered community.) The final point was simply that the Plus version and CMS in general was driving me crazy. It really took my nerves and sleep, despite its many goodies.

I'm feeling better now. :)
We're back in the main development line of phpBB, and I feel couraged to add themes and MODs and even customize php code if required. This is because we're back at a well-defined starting point and code base.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during the test.
More tests will come, though. There are two MODs to phpBB that promise to achieve what I want, so maybe I'll backup the DB soon again...
8)
Best regards,
Carsten