Ca3DE Bones Structure

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Kai

Post by Kai » 2005-01-10, 15:34

but it has of course the disadvantage of visible "popping" between two subsequent LoD levels
Well of course, there is a popping, thats with most lod systems (as long as not using a parametric kind of reducing)
But in most situations, such popping is not really noticable, most because you move quite fast, only when fixing on one object you might notice the effect.

Lod can be very delicate, but it helps to increase the framerate a lot.
I think we could start some tests for Lod when there is enough time ;)
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2005-01-10, 15:52

I think we could start some tests for Lod when there is enough time
Sure, with pleasure. :)
The good thing about discrete levels of LoD is that it is very easy to implement, as the code just has to figure out which level should be used, and then proceed with regular rendering with the chosen level of the model.
Best regards,
Carsten
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2005-01-11, 03:08

i saw an engine out there that would fade out 1 model and fade in another model over a space of like 10 frame or sum amount of time. it actually looked quite nice but had the disadvantage of a slight drop in fps over that 'fade' period.
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Kai

Post by Kai » 2005-01-11, 14:40

Hmm, fading is most used in online games to increase performance, but im not sure how well it works with lod stepping, as i said its not that much noticable (depending on how good the mesh shape can be reduced)

Anyway creating different lod steps is pretty simple, Max offers a special tool that can be used to create lod steps and offers the possibility to test the lod steps depending on the viewdistance (so its pretty like the way we would use it in the game)

Carsten: why do you always use

LoD > level of detail ?

Did you play to much Diablo 2 addon "Lord of Destruction" ? :)
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn » 2005-01-11, 15:54

Look how Battlefield deals with it. Somehow a program (included in the MDK) automatically creates all the different version out of the source model. Its like a normal modelling tool reducing the polys. Although the quality might better when doing it by hand, it saves many frames and is not much work. 6 is a bit much, i think 4 different models would also do it well :wink:

Battlefield is a very good example on how Lod can be used to save fps. If it's not a problem to introduce it into Ca3DE, it should be done!

scott

Post by scott » 2005-01-13, 10:34

Some engine can even do it dynamically,(It auto generates the lod's on the fly, their not pre generated) Unreal, Serious sam etc