smoothing problem

Discuss artwork in all of its forms here, from level design to GUI button themes. New MODs planning, work-in-progress and other samples are welcome in this forum as well.
arfur9
smoothing problem

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-27, 17:50

I seem to have smoothing issues with dae models from Sketchup as you can see by the wall
pic0003.jpg

The cube was a 3DS export from sketchup and looks a lot better, but with 3ds, fbx, obj I have to fix the texture paths in the*.cmat, for some reason its giving the full path ie

Code: Select all

C:/Users/nige/Desktop/caf2/Cafu/Games/DeathMatch/Models/test/DOOR_d.png
But if I can sort the dae problem its not that big a deal, its maybe something Sketchup is doing

The model I have divided the faces, in Sketchup "soften edges" is set to 0
wal.jpg
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: smoothing problem

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-27, 22:03

If I understand you correctly, "dae" has unwanted smoothing but proper texture paths while the other formats have proper smoothing but full texture paths?

Can you upload the wall as an attachment here, or send me per e-mail, so that I can have a look?
(Can you export the wall in other formats besides "dae"? If so, please upload one of the other formats, too.)
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-27, 23:13

Here you go
I've enclosed the dae version, like I said I get the textures but the smoothing looks wrong also 3DS and FBX versions, I get no textures and a long path, FBX for example is linking to ../../../Documents/wal/_4.jpg

I also added the sketchup file, it might come in useful also normal and specular maps
I checked the skp model and there's no internal geometry on the wall, I think this might be down to how Sketchup exports but the fbx file loads with textures in VS2013 and C4D, the 3DS works fine in C4D and Thea Render
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-28, 15:40

I've been playing a little bit with C4D and DAE files definitely import better than ones created with Sketchup
pic0004.jpg
pic0005.jpg
Any problems with the truck are more the fact I baked it into a single texture and the resolution is a bit low

just a side question
Cafu only uses diffuse, specular, illumination and normal/bump, is this right?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-28, 16:39

Thanks for uploading the sample models, I'll look at them later today.

File formats that bring explicit normal vectors tend to be better, because on import, we can just overtake whatever is in the model file. Some file formats don't cover normal vectors or they may just not be included in the model file, so the importer has to try to come up with a reasonable guess of its own. This may be what might be affecting the wall.

In the meanwhile:
Cafu only uses diffuse, specular, illumination and normal/bump, is this right?
Yes. What are you missing?

Cool models btw. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-28, 17:21

Sketchup can give strange results, its a very lazy way to model however the free Make version works with 90% of the plugins, the only thing it lacks is decent uv unwrapping.
If the smoothing can't be changed somehow then exporting to C4D seems to work ok, I'd imagine Blender would also work

I can't take credit for the truck, it came from here

I asked about maps because I made a little utility to import Shadermap Pro maps and export them as a Thea render material.. it would take a day maybe to adapt it to Cafu materials.
The downside is, I used C#
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2017-02-28, 22:15

Ok, the solution is simple:
In the CaWE Model Editor, in the Mesh Inspector, set the tangent-space method from GLOBAL to HARD.

This should fix the problem. (Sorry that multiple meshes cannot be selected at once. If you have many meshes to change, the simplest solution is running a search & replace in the cmdl files.)

With GLOBAL, the default, tangent space is interpolated across the surface:
wall_img_1.png
This is intended to help whenever a surface is curved – but obviously doesn't work well when it isn't. :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten
arfur9

Post by arfur9 » 2017-02-28, 23:07

ah, right, thank you :)