can an artist make a simple side scroller with this...

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Veleran
can an artist make a simple side scroller with this...

Post by Veleran » 2012-05-24, 10:29

Hi all,i m interested in platformer 2,5 d and top down ,old classic remakes etc
and do not know yet if i ll choose another engine for the side scrollers and another for top down or isometric.
Of course,i have not done anything here yet.

i m a modeler and could script with some help from forums.
I am about to mod existing demos etc as i m by myself,anyway i need simple engine so i can make few levels prototyping and ask for scripter or coder if needed.

Now,i hope there must be basic side scroller demos to use as template ,as,i can not modify source code,in fact i never compiled source .
I was thinking just grabbing a demo like addams family or mario of some sort and replace the characters with my own and change the scripts a little.

Do you think i ll have any luck here....if you want to know,in cryengine3 forum i was checking and they told me from the beginning their engine was heavy and difficult for begginers and artists to mod.

Thanks in advance!
HWGuy

Re: can an artist make a simple side scroller with this...

Post by HWGuy » 2012-05-24, 20:51

I think there's some sample code on moving the camera position, for isometric view you'd just have to tell opengl to render in iso instead of perspective.
Gameplay could be handled quite a bit with script alone, level design with CaWE is quite easy, importing assets and models is also easy.
Veleran

Post by Veleran » 2012-05-25, 01:26

Thanks for reply.
Do you think there will be an easy way to script the move down "S" key or down arrow to be crouch when you stand on the floor and move down when in front of a ladder when the time comes?

I hope i ll find a template to use for start to set up player movement controls by script.

For start i thought to work on something simple like the old rick dangerous but more haunted like addams family (ultimate ghouls and ghosts is advanced for now) fright night and castlevania.
you can check videos of these at youtube for example if you do not know them.

Do you have to pay anything for publishing a game?I mean if the game would be sold 1$ each and you don not even know if you will sell anything,
do you still have to pay a fee for commercial use,...i hope not.
I have not found the licence that s why i ask.
HWGuy

Post by HWGuy » 2012-05-25, 02:33

Well there's no crouch in the player code right now, but adding it should be simple, just have to have the animation and change the player's collision box, animation is scriptable but changing the box needs some C++.

The engine is released under the GPL, so you can use it for a commercial game under those conditions, Carsten also does commission(no GPL restrictions) and 1-time.

In terms of level design, I can see a sidescroller being quite easy to do, you just have to treat the level like a stage, and have player clips to keep them in line.
Veleran

Post by Veleran » 2012-05-26, 06:41

no scripting command to adjust bounding box width and height?Then i can not make it as i would need to start working without crouch and just hope i will find a programmer to fix that.

I would surely like to have a programmer with me but i want to set up the basics with out need of C++ programming.
I will check the available commands maybe to see what else the engine can do and think about it.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-05-26, 12:24

Dear Veleran,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:

While I absolutely love the idea of making a side-scrolling game with the Cafu Engine (it would be a very nice and worthwhile second demo game besides "DeathMatch", being a different genre, with interesting camera(-path) control options), and while I think it's even relatively easy to do (especially once I'm done with implementing ticket #113), I'm sorry to say that implementing this in Cafu requires at least some custom programming in C++.
Best regards,
Carsten
Tekniko

Post by Tekniko » 2012-06-15, 18:52

HWGuy wrote:I think there's some sample code on moving the camera position, for isometric view you'd just have to tell opengl to render in iso instead of perspective.
I am interested in the original posters idea as well. So I am a little curious as to the difference between rendering in ISO and Perspective. Could you explain, thanks!
---
Did some research and I understand the concept now. Although I still welcome a reply.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2012-06-16, 00:46

:google:
Best regards,
Carsten