Compiling Error

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
Geowil
Compiling Error

Post by Geowil » 2013-11-13, 03:29

Code: Select all

F:\Cafu\Engine>scons
scons: Reading SConscript files ...

Unknown compiler on platform win32.
NameError: name 'envDebug' is not defined:
  File "F:\Cafu\Engine\SConstruct", line 239:
    envDebug  .Append(CPPDEFINES=["DEBUG"]);
I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2008,10, and 12 installed; all professional editions. Windows OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Trying the x86 force mentioned in the getting started guide did not do anything.

Edit:

It seems that the SConstruct file does not support MSVS 2012. Manually switched to 2010 in the CompilerSetup and now it is compiling.
"I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes...Or should I?" -- Laughing Man
Site Admin

Re: Compiling Error

Post by Carsten » 2013-11-13, 11:11

Hi Geowil,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Geowil wrote:It seems that the SConstruct file does not support MSVS 2012. Manually switched to 2010 in the CompilerSetup and now it is compiling.
What version SCons do you use, and which (revision of the) source code?

I'm on the entity-component-system branch, and use SCons 2.3.0 with Visual Studio 2012 (Express Edition) successfully, on Win8.1 64-bit, with "x86" target set.

SCons does not yet support VS 2013, and I thought that 2012 came with 64-bit compilers even in the Express Editions as well, but they didn't work for me, so I had to set the "x86" target. But with "x86", 2012 works for me perfectly.

Ohhhh... I just remember that I added support to the SConstruct file only recently, at this time in the "entity-component-system" branch only. So you're probably using the "master" branch, where indeed only VS up to 2010 is supported. :oops:

Is at this time working with VS 2010 ok for you? I'm working a lot on "entity-component-system", and it will be another while until I'm ready to merge it back to "master", but I could backport the VS 2012 support if you like. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
Geowil

Post by Geowil » 2013-11-13, 18:28

Carsten wrote:Hi Geowil,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
Geowil wrote:It seems that the SConstruct file does not support MSVS 2012. Manually switched to 2010 in the CompilerSetup and now it is compiling.
What version SCons do you use, and which (revision of the) source code?

I'm on the entity-component-system branch, and use SCons 2.3.0 with Visual Studio 2012 (Express Edition) successfully, on Win8.1 64-bit, with "x86" target set.

SCons does not yet support VS 2013, and I thought that 2012 came with 64-bit compilers even in the Express Editions as well, but they didn't work for me, so I had to set the "x86" target. But with "x86", 2012 works for me perfectly.

Ohhhh... I just remember that I added support to the SConstruct file only recently, at this time in the "entity-component-system" branch only. So you're probably using the "master" branch, where indeed only VS up to 2010 is supported. :oops:

Is at this time working with VS 2010 ok for you? I'm working a lot on "entity-component-system", and it will be another while until I'm ready to merge it back to "master", but I could backport the VS 2012 support if you like. :up:
Any version is fine, I just found it odd that according to the getting started guide MSVS2012 should have worked yet I had a contradictory experience; thought it might have been a bug or a unplaced, older version of SConstruct. But it makes sense now if the Master branch is not quite fully up to date as some of the other branches.
"I thought what I would do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes...Or should I?" -- Laughing Man
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2013-11-13, 18:48

Ok, thanks for the feed-back, and sorry for the confusion! :cheesy:
Best regards,
Carsten