Black screen while running Ca3DE

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
unDEFER
Black screen while running Ca3DE

Post by unDEFER » 2014-03-11, 18:37

Hello! I have built Cafu from git on my Ubuntu 13.04, have copied Games/DeathMatch/ directory from unpacked Cafu-12.05-win32.zip, and I'm trying to see some demos.
I have the next output in the terminal and see only window with black background with small mouse pointer:

Code: Select all

$ build/linux2/g++/release/Ca3DE/Cafu
Cafu Engine, Mar 11 2014
config.lua processed.
Warning: Failed to open ZIP archive Games/DeathMatch/Textures/TechDemo.zip
Registering archive "Games/DeathMatch/Textures/SkyDomes.zip".

Scanning cwd for all available renderers...
Scanning Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/MaterialSystem for all available renderers...
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/MaterialSystem/libRendererCgNV2X.so ... SUCCESS - first supported renderer (Pref# 2000).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/MaterialSystem/libRendererARBprogs.so ... SUCCESS - higher preference renderer (Pref# 2200).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/MaterialSystem/libRendererOpenGL12.so ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 1000).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/MaterialSystem/libRendererCgARB1.so ... SUCCESS - but no higher preference (Pref# 2100).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/MaterialSystem/libRendererNull.so ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
Reloading previously auto-selected renderer Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/MaterialSystem/libRendererARBprogs.so ...

Scanning cwd for all available sound systems...
Scanning Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/SoundSystem for all available sound systems...
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/SoundSystem/libSoundSysFMOD3.so ... SUCCESS - first supported sound system (Pref# 1000).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/SoundSystem/libSoundSysNull.so ... SUCCESS - but excluded from auto-selection (Pref# 1).
Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/SoundSystem/libSoundSysOpenAL.so ... SUCCESS - higher preference sound system (Pref# 1500).
Reloading previously auto-selected sound system Libs/build/linux2/g++/release/SoundSystem/libSoundSysOpenAL.so ...
Available OpenAL output devices:
	1. ALSA Software [default]
	2. OSS Software
Available OpenAL capture devices:
	1. ALSA Capture on default [default]
	2. ALSA Capture on HDA Intel [ALC662 rev1 Analog] (hw:0,0)
	3. ALSA Capture on Venus USB2.0 Camera [USB Audio] (hw:2,0)
	4. OSS Capture
Available OpenAL output devices with the ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT extension:
	1. ALSA Software on default [default]
	2. ALSA Software on HDA Intel [ALC662 rev1 Analog] (hw:0,0)
	3. ALSA Software on HDA NVidia [HDMI 0] (hw:1,3)
	4. ALSA Software on HDA NVidia [HDMI 0] (hw:1,7)
	5. ALSA Software on HDA NVidia [HDMI 0] (hw:1,8)
	6. ALSA Software on HDA NVidia [HDMI 0] (hw:1,9)
	7. OSS Software
Warning: Lua script "Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/MainMenu/MainMenu_main.cgui" could not be loaded
(Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/MainMenu/MainMenu_init.cgui:29: bad argument #1 to 'new' (unknown class name "ListBoxT")).
Warning: No root window set for GUI "Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/MainMenu/MainMenu_main.cgui"!
GUI "Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/MainMenu/MainMenu_main.cgui" not registered due to GuiImplT::InitErrorT exception.
Warning: Lua script "Err=gui:new('WindowT'); gui:SetRootWindow(Err); gui:activate(true); gui:setInteractive(true); gui:showMouse(false); Err:set('rect', 0, 0, 640, 480); Err:set('textScale', 0.8); Err:set('text', 'Error loading MainMenu_main.cgui,\nsee console <F1> for details.');" could not be loaded
([string "Err=gui:new('WindowT'); gui:SetRootWindow(E..."]:1: attempt to call method 'set' (a nil value)).
Warning: Lua script "Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/Console.cgui" could not be loaded
(Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/Console.cgui:39: attempt to call method 'SetName' (a nil value)).
Warning: Lua error in call to method OnInit():
Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/Console.cgui:5: attempt to call method 'set' (a nil value)
Warning: Lua error in call to method OnInit():
Games/DeathMatch/GUIs/Console.cgui:26: attempt to call method 'set' (a nil value)
F11 works in the window to switch into fullscreen.
What I do not so? Thank you.
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Black screen while running Ca3DE

Post by Carsten » 2014-03-12, 00:53

Hi unDEFER,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
unDEFER wrote:[...], have copied Games/DeathMatch/ directory from unpacked Cafu-12.05-win32.zip
This is the problem. Generally, you cannot mix files from different releases.

Instead, you should use the same Games/DeathMatch/ directory that came with the source code release that you built Cafu from, and copy binary files into the proper subdirectories as documented. :up:
Best regards,
Carsten
unDEFER

Post by unDEFER » 2014-03-12, 21:03

Thanks, now it is working.
Yet another question.
In the "features list" I see:
APIs: OpenGL 1.2 to 2.0, DirectX 7 to 9, Cg, GLSL, Mesa, software renderers, ...
But in the windows I see only the next renderers:
RendererARBprogs.dll RendererCgNV2X.dll RendererOpenGL12.dll
RendererCgARB1.dll RendererNull.dll
DirectX renderer not implemented?
And what about more simple example? Like rotated cube?
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2014-03-13, 15:18

Hi unDEFER,
unDEFER wrote:Thanks, now it is working.
Thanks for the feed-back, it's good to hear that!
Yet another question.
In the "features list" I see:
APIs: OpenGL 1.2 to 2.0, DirectX 7 to 9, Cg, GLSL, Mesa, software renderers, ...
But in the windows I see only the next renderers:
RendererARBprogs.dll RendererCgNV2X.dll RendererOpenGL12.dll
RendererCgARB1.dll RendererNull.dll
DirectX renderer not implemented?
Well, yes, sorry, this is a bit inaccurate (and somewhat outdated), this is why is says:
Feature List wrote:Designed to be implemented ...
A DirectX renderer is, at this time, indeed not available, mostly because the OpenGL renderers work very well on each supported platform, and a DirectX renderer would buy us nothing, except a(nother) proof of concept. Also, with limited resources, I so far have always found more pressing issues whenever I considered implementing a DirectX renderer myself. (But if anyone else tried, I'd support him or her as much as I can!)
And what about more simple example? Like rotated cube?
Are you referring specifically to renderers, or to the Cafu Engine in general?
Best regards,
Carsten
unDEFER

Post by unDEFER » 2014-03-13, 18:53

A DirectX renderer is, at this time, indeed not available, mostly because the OpenGL renderers work very well on each supported platform
Really there is video chipsets like Intel GMA 500 which have drivers with which OpenGL works even slower than software rendering :-)
For such cases very good to have DirectX-renderer.
Are you referring specifically to renderers, or to the Cafu Engine in general?
Cafu Engine of course.
But seems I have found that Ogre 3D is more appropriate library for my tasks. Sorry, and thank you for your time.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2014-03-17, 20:50

Hi unDEFER,
unDEFER wrote:Cafu Engine of course.
Well, there is no such thing as a cube sample in Cafu. In Cafu, the "smallest sample" is a minimal map that consists of a single room and the player entity (e.g. the "Test1" map that ships with the Cafu demos at least as a cmap file for loading in CaWE).
But seems I have found that Ogre 3D is more appropriate library for my tasks.
Well, I guess that there is a first for everything. :mrgreen:

Seriously, Ogre3D is an excellent library, albeit in its details and structure quite different from Cafu. I wish you success and all the best for whatever project you're implementing with it! :up:
Best regards,
Carsten