Does ne1 code?

Get technical support about the C++ source code and about Lua scripts for maps, entities, GUIs, the console, materials, etc. Also covered are the Cafu libraries and APIs, as well as compiling, linking, and the build system.
Shadow
Does ne1 code?

Post by Shadow » 2004-09-24, 04:31

i was just wondering if anybody actually codes with this...
im attempting to learn it right now and was just wondering if i am all alone :(
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
Camille

Post by Camille » 2004-09-25, 09:49

i've coded some stuff in the past but i don't really have the time now.
perhaps when the new version will arrive...
Dodger

Post by Dodger » 2004-10-08, 14:32

Hi Shadow,

I also started learning to code in ca3de but i am also a beginner.
I think it would be a good thing to write down the problems we encounter
and make an idiots guide out of it ;)

Maybe we can save other coders sleepless nights :D

Did you already archieve anything? I just installed a c++ IDE and a compiler.

By the way: What about Openwatcom? I tried to download it from the page, but i found only versions you have to pay for. Thought it was free :(

Greetings Dodger
"Off all things I have lost, I miss my mind the least!"
Camille

Post by Camille » 2004-10-08, 15:12

the url was hiden but it's :

http://openwatcom.mirrors.pair.com/watcom/

i don't know what is the version you need, it's all depending of the version cartsen used for compiling the main engine...
Dodger

Post by Dodger » 2004-10-08, 21:09

Hi Camille,

thx for the info. I downloaded Version 1.3, i think i will set it up right away.

Cheers

Dodger
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-10, 11:34

Dodger wrote:I think it would be a good thing to write down the problems we encounter
That would be great! I'd be happy to help, plus to also upgrade the "official" docs.
What about Openwatcom? I tried to download it from the page, but i found only versions you have to pay for. Thought it was free :(
It is. Just the website is very misleading. Probably made by a guy who has not much knowledge about human factors in web interfaces. ;) Maybe it's also intentionally that way, they probably want to sell the OpenWatcom CDs and/or get a lot of donations. Anyways, OW is available at
http://ftp.openwatcom.org/ftp/watcom/
The March 2004 demo was compiled with OW 1.2, but 1.3 should also work (but I have not tried myself!). The next version will be compiled with version 1.3.
Best regards,
Carsten
Advis

Post by Advis » 2004-10-11, 23:32

I have never coded before but once I can get open watcom downloaded I'll wade my way throgh the many lines of code and see what I can do...
Joseph Scott - Digital Effect & Theory Team Leader.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-12, 00:10

Advis wrote:I have never coded before
Well, be prepared for a tough experience then. The Ca3DE source code is not exactly suitable for learning programming (especially wrt. the concepts behind C++). On the other hand, don't let that discourage you! We all started in some way or another, and the times of Tetris test programs are indeed over. :wink:
Best regards,
Carsten
Dodger

Post by Dodger » 2004-10-12, 15:07

Hi everybody,
We all started in some way or another, and the times of Tetris test programs are indeed over.
I wanna have a c++ Tetris Test Program!!! Seriously. :D

Besides, i just startetd reading "Physics for Game Developers" published by O'Reilly. Anyone who is interested in Game Physics should read this! I have read about 40 pages and it's quite readable.

I also wanna learn how to use ODE http://ode.org/ (Open Dynamics Engine). It´s like the Havoc Physics Engine, but Open Source!
By the way, is there a physic Engine integrated in CA3DE? And if not, would it make sense to integrate ODE?

Does anybody know a "good" tutorial how to get started with c++. Of course there are hundreds of tutorials in the web, but i am looking for a good one. So if anybody has a clue, please let me know.

Greetz

Dodger
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2004-10-12, 16:55

Dodger wrote:I wanna have a c++ Tetris Test Program!!! Seriously. :D
Sorry, I don't have mine anymore. My Tetris was actually written in Turbo Pascal, anyways. ;)
Besides, i just startetd reading "Physics for Game Developers" published by O'Reilly. Anyone who is interested in Game Physics should read this! I have read about 40 pages and it's quite readable.
Are you referring to this one?
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/0 ... 56-7662912
By the way, is there a physic Engine integrated in CA3DE? And if not, would it make sense to integrate ODE?
There is no "real" physics engine integrated into Ca3DE yet, just the very simply physics that moves players and collides entities with each other and the world.
ODE can probably be integrated into Ca3DE, but I have not yet found the time to dig into it. Doing so however is required before I can say more.

Just for completeness: Besides Havok, somebody recently referred me to another commercial physics engine: http://www.meqon.com/
When the current work is reasonably complete and the next release is out, I'll probably look into and compare several such physics engines, and then employ one of them for Ca3DE.
Does anybody know a "good" tutorial how to get started with c++. Of course there are hundreds of tutorials in the web, but i am looking for a good one. So if anybody has a clue, please let me know.
Hm. I know several very good advanced books, like
"The C++ programming language" by Bjarne Stroustrup (also available in German), and
"C++ FAQs" by Cline, Lomow, and Girou (initially pretty tough, but highly recommended when you've mastered the basics). Website is here: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
However, I've heard that "Effective C++" and "More effective C++" by Scott Meyers are even better or at least with more exhaustive examples than the C++ FAQs.
Another good but more or less advanced or "professional" book is "Design patterns" by Gamma, Helm, et. al. Also available in German.
Here is a newsgroup posting by Stephen Howe that essentially mentions the same list:
http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr ... om&rnum=11
Or here for the entire thread:
http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr ... nG%3DSuche

Now about beginners books:
Well, a tough question. Be prepared to buy several books. My own beginners books were mostly about Amiga Basic, Turbo (Borland) Pascal, etc, or are very old.
"Objektorientierte Programmiering in Turbo C++" by Robert Lafore, The Waite Group, was good and easy read, but it is outdated now, and I don't know if it is still available.
Here is another newsgroup posting by Stephen Howe, whose posting are all very thoughtful and excellent advice:
http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr ... nG%3DSuche
(best you read the entire thread).

Another thing I'd do is joining the OpenWatcom users newsgroup, a place where I myself have learned a lot of C and C++ (fortunately at times when Stephen was a frequent visitor and contributor there, he taught us many things).

Okay, I still cannot name any really good introductory books or tuts. Sorry. But maybe you get the idea. Google is probably a very good help too. Search both the web and newsgroups, and maybe Amazon for terms like "C++ introduction" "good books C++" etc.
Once you've found something, read other peoples references, and feel free to ask here, or e.g. in the OpenWatcoms users group (recommended).

Hope that helps. ;)
Best regards,
Carsten
Dodger

Post by Dodger » 2004-10-12, 18:03

Exactly. Very good book to get a general understanding of Physics in Games and how to simulate forces, etc...
Hope that helps.
Yeah a lot. Thx i will see what i can learn from this.

Cheers Dodger
Shadow

Post by Shadow » 2004-10-12, 22:21

good luck... im still learning and finding it kinda hard... programming in BASIC ruins your mind...

another physics engine that should be looked into is newton. very nice and free. http://www.physicsengine.com i think
PBX CONTINUES!!!
CLICK HERE!!
n321

Post by n321 » 2006-12-07, 05:03

I code with Ca3De....I am writing the SP game code right now in my spare time which is very limited. I am also adjusting the MP game code. I inted to make ca3de that I use into a normal game engine with a main menu and such. The SP code will be advanced but will only be release to Carsten....I may try to liscence the engine from him..........but he doesent know that yet so dont tell him!!!

Infact I have been planning a project for 6 years now. The story is perfect, I spent much time with a psych professor working on the story making it effect peoples emotions! I am a film major and plan to make it into a feature film someday. BUT FIRST it will be a game!!! I have a small crew planning with me and we plan to have a very low cost overhead....i.e. the only money we plan to spend is on the engine licensing itself! Once I finish the game code (which is designed for MY game) I will release a basic version to Carsten and the devs to make acceptable for Ca3de free usage. BUT my advanced stuff will stay with me because we plan o go indi-pro with our project! BBBBUUUUUTTTT If ANYONE needs help let me know...I can answer questions (or try to)