Simple question concerning graphics

Get help with installing and running the Cafu Engine here. This forum is also for general questions and discussion of all aspects regarding the Cafu Engine.
rmn_rmn
Simple question concerning graphics

Post by rmn_rmn » 2010-07-09, 07:54

Hello to everyone! I've just installed the engine and it seems really powerful and fast. However, I have a silly question (excuse me, I'm new to 3D games :) ): what is the usual way to make games more detalized, I mean like Burnout or the last NFS? I saw demos and visual part was just like in Counter-Strike :roll:, although my PC showed approximately 350-400 fps. I guess it's developer's job to make models more detalized, and not the engine's limitation?
Carsten
Site Admin

Re: Simple question concerning graphics

Post by Carsten » 2010-07-09, 08:38

Hi,
welcome to the Cafu forums! :welcome:
rmn_rmn wrote:I guess it's developer's job to make models more detalized, and not the engine's limitation?
Yes, that's right: The map and model designers create most of the detail.

We're currently developing a model editor that will make tweaking and importing models into Cafu much easier, and after that, we will also enhance the code for vegetation. In addition to the existing tools and features, both of these new features will also help map and model artists with adding more detail to maps.
Best regards,
Carsten
rmn_rmn

Post by rmn_rmn » 2010-07-09, 09:10

Yes, that's right: The map and model designers create most of the detail.
So if I learned how to work with 3D designer tools like Maya I could use Cafu to create modern quality game? I've heard about new OpenGL 4.0, and 3.0 is stable, but Cafu supports 2.0 (as I read in the features), so let me ask another silly question: as a developer I won't suffer from lack of such support? Will Cafu limit me with some modern graphical features? Or it's just a question of some external libraries I will be able to download to extend capability?

Regards,
Roman.
Carsten
Site Admin

Post by Carsten » 2010-07-09, 10:57

Hi Roman,
rmn_rmn wrote:So if I learned how to work with 3D designer tools like Maya I could use Cafu to create modern quality game?
Principally yes, but while learning Maya is certainly a good start, you should be prepared to learn lots of other programs and skills as well.
I've heard about new OpenGL 4.0, and 3.0 is stable, but Cafu supports 2.0 (as I read in the features), so let me ask another silly question: as a developer I won't suffer from lack of such support? Will Cafu limit me with some modern graphical features?
You're right that Cafu currently supports only OpenGL 2 while OpenGL 3 and 4 are already available. We will add support for these newer APIs as soon as possible; also see our Roadmap and Project Ideas for additional information.

Does the current status (support for OpenGL 3 and 4 in Cafu not yet available) limit you? No. While the newer APIs will make newer and more detailed graphics effects available, any work that you spend now is easily used with the newer versions later. Employing the new features of OpenGL 3 and 4 on maps and models that were made with OpenGL 2 is easily possible, and thus any time and efforts invested now are well spent, as future compatibility is guaranteed.
Best regards,
Carsten
rmn_rmn

Post by rmn_rmn » 2010-07-09, 12:25

Thank you, Carsten. :) You answered exactly what I wanted to know. Actually, I decided to start with Blender 3D since its free. And, to be fair, Cafu made really good impression, I've watched several demos from other free engines and Cafu surely is the best.
Anyway, thank you again.